Working Pupil supervision

zaminda

Visit site
A quick question, should working pupils under the age of 18 be left unsupervised with no adult on the yard at all. In the situation in question there is a 16 and a 17 year old being left while the other members of staff go off schooling. What do you think?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I don't know the legality of it, but I don't think leaving a 16 and 17 year old together is a terrible thing.
If they're not expected to do anything particularly dangerous in this period of time (ride/handle difficult horses).

But this is coming from someone who was left alone on the yard from probably 10 years old with a group of 10 - 16 year olds.

bakewell

Visit site
For purposes of bum covering I would consult my insurer.
And I would produce a risk assessment (most boring documents known to man) to back up my decision if I was covered by insurer.

zaminda

Visit site
My thoughts are they should be ok, but there is beginning to be a doubt as to the yard having insurance. Hence the question about legality.

bakewell

Visit site
Legally you would likely be judged to have extended a "duty of care" in this situation. Therefore if anything happens, you/ employer are legally responsible even if you are within the stated laws.