working pupil, take my horses?

showjump2003

Visit site
I have been offered a place as a working pupil for three months next year on a top yard. Nothing has been finalized yet but I have a lot to sort out. Mainly my two horses. I can't go unless they go with me as the yard is 6-8 hours away from here so no popping back to see them. Would it be unreasonable to ask the yard to bring a horse? (or two!). They don't need stabling, just a turnout paddock? Bare in mind I will be there for three months working for free.

I have a feeling that I'm being cheeky and they will never go for it. I don't want to ask if it soiunds unreasonable!

Taz975

Visit site
When I did that, I was allowed to take my two best horses with me.
TBH, if you only want a paddock, I would say it'd be worth just asking, or if they know of anyone local with a paddock going spare?

Kelly1982

Visit site
I would definatly mention it and if they say they haven't got space then ask if they know anywhere local that does.

If all your horses need is a padock i dont think thats too much to ask, especially if you will be working there for free.

sham

Visit site
When I was working with neds, and due to work on an event yard the only way I could of done it was by taking my horses..So I just asked. Explain the situation to them, after all you wont find out unless you ask!

sally2008

Visit site
It's got to be worth asking. I took mine with me when I was training (long time ago!) - it was actively encouraged by the yard I went to.

showjump2003

Visit site
I think I will ask and see what they say. To be honest, unless they say yes I won't be able to go. I have worked at a jumping yard before and know I wouldn't have time to look after my horses if they were kept anywhere apart from where I would be working.

Malibu

Visit site
i worked on an international event rider's yard and took my boy, in return for my free labour, i got free stabling including, feed, bedding, turned out every day, use of her equipment and some free lessons!

not cheeky at all! def ask them,

good luck, what yard is it/dressage/sj/ or eventing?

good luck