Working the young horse

NooNoo59

Visit site
I have a just 6 welsh section d who I have had for about 18 months, he was weedy and very green when I got him, just before lock down I fell off him which knocked me a bit and then we couldnt ride for about 8 weeks but I did in hand walking and lunging and trt. We are now riding again but my confidence has been knocked back, so I am having 2 lessons a week for half an hour working on the steering and off the leg in walk and trot We hack out twice a week with an older sensible horse for about 40 minutes and I walk in hand at least once and lunge over poles or obstacles like tarpaulin once a week and then do a trt session on the other day. So we are doing little and often, he has lost weight and the physio was very pleased with his development. I intend to build this up so we start cantering in the next couple of weeks and also longer hacks. I feel we are doing ok I do not want to rush it as he gets anxious and I am working on him just doing stuff calmly and quietly and not having a melt down/baby moment mental maturity I suppose. Am I doing enough? Never had one this green before so learning as we go along really.

tristar

Visit site
enough is all you need ,, worse thing is too much too quick, i am governed by the horses speed of progress and follow that.

has he been long reined, i usually do that for the steering, am doing one a the mo and because he is away from here have taken longer, now finding his steering is fantastic as its taken so long and he`s had more time put in

are yo being tense with your shoulders arms and hands, try opening your chest and using more leg, kindly, than hand.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I agree, there is no such thing as a definition of enough. The more you build him physically and mentally, rather than just "working" him, the better. Producing young horses for sale has a financial imperative to push horses along, owner-riders really have no such thing and can pick a route that suits them and their horse, and almost certainly can make better decisions for the longevity of the horse too. I don't know exactly how TRT works but I'd be looking to do intense in hand work such as that advocated by Manolo Mendez on his DVDs.

paddi22

Visit site
The luxury of it being your own youngster is that you go at the pace you feel happiest with for both of you. The horse will be happy and develop better with a happy calm relaxed rider, instead of rushing to meet invented deadlines of when you should be doing things. sounds like you are doing the right things and it's all going the right direction.

Michen

Visit site
Yep. My 4 year old spent three months long reining!! It did him the world of good. He just mentally didn’t really to me seem ready to have a rider on. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Polos Mum

Visit site
The hardest thing to do is not compare yourself to others and not get dragged into what you 'should' be doing. I personally think that if you are making improvements - however tiny, then that is enough. Every time something is a little easier or a little better that's progress and all progress is good. Keep a diary or video so you can see progress, when it's small and steady it;s easy to miss when you're with them every day.

My recently retires 7 y/o (!) was tricky at the mounting block when he came, me and OH would take 25-30 goes to get him to stand. After a few days off it would take me 2-3 goes and I'd feel disappointed, until a friend pointed out that 2-3 goes on my own was still massive progress from 30 goes with a helper!!

NooNoo59

Visit site
Thanks all for your positivity and the confirmation that it’s good for him and me and therefore it’s fine