Working with a nervy rescue pony

frostyfingers

Visit site
I have taken on a 6 year old Welsh Sec A pony as a companion to my horse. He was rescued from a tip in S Wales as a yearling, gelded and been in a rescue centre since then. By their own admission because he had no serious health issues he has only really had basic handling - he's perfectly good to be groomed, feet picked out, caught etc. He's wary though and his default his to either back off or turn his bum on you (never raised a leg or bitten), and occasionally will have a little half rear as a way of telling you he doesn't like what you're doing. He's prone to having the odd tantrum if he doesn't like what you're doing - unfortunately he has had a tooth abcess and it took three of us to keep him still long enough for the vet to sedate him.

Currently I'm busy with my hunter, but make sure I catch him up, pick his feet out, groom him and talk to him daily - he's been with us a month and I want to give him time to get used to us and my way of doing things without overloading him. When he's in the yard I'll randomly stroke him and chat to him but he's still not progressed much confidence wise. My plan is to really dedicate time to getting him to settle, walking in hand (he's not had a bit in his mouth yet) and some intensive handling. I've had a friend look at him and she reckons we could show him in hand in the summer for a bit of fun and entertainment (we're talking village shows, nothing fancy!) for him so was looking for some ideas as to how to get him happy enough to go out and about.

I know it's not likely to be a quick process but was looking for ideas as to how to relax him, prepare him and what worked for you. I've not brought on a youngster before - I know he's not physically young, but he's certainly immature - and don't want to ruin him.

SarahWeston

Visit site
I would go back to the true meaning of handling and just touch him with a deep flat touch (no patting, no light tickly touch) for a good while each time until he thinks "where are you going?" when you walk away. If he's not happy with human touch then a feather duster works well but it does need to be a deep touch. These foundations are missing at the moment and you need to go all the way back. I'd also be tempted to introduce him to clicker training. Carefully done it will imporve his courage no end. If you message me with your email address I can send you some notes on touch if you like. It's the key to everything.

lelly

Visit site
I have been there with my two year old. You sound as if yours is handled a little bit more than mine was. What I did was similar to clicker training without the clicker. I praised her every time she did the smallest of tasks and gave her a treat. The clicker was a gooood girl then a treat. I couldn't touch her at all at first so was using a walking stick. I could pick her back feet up with it as well. Six months down the line I can do anything with her. It is a case of take it very slowly and lots of praise. You will be able to cut back on the treats once he has settled and a good boy will be enough.

frostyfingers

Visit site
Thanks - I'll look into that. He's a monkey for getting into stuff (buckets, yard brushes, anything lying around while I'm working in the yard is played with) so I'm training myself to make sure everything is away - and paws at the ground when tied up so every time stops doing it I go over and tell him what a good boy he's been, I've been running my hands over him when I walk past and scratch his forehead which he loves, he's just not hugely tolerant of prolonged contact, a couple of secs and then he walks away. I try and walk away before he does, he follows me so is obviously not too frightened. Bless him he actually holds his breath when he's really alarmed! I've had my boys home from uni over Christmas and they've been spending time with him in the field, to make him realise that men aren't all bad and he now walks up to them for a quick rub which is a huge improvement.

JillA

Visit site
Lol I was about to suggest Sarah Weston's book but she got there first - take her advice, she has done it been there AND got the tee shirt

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think, reading your comments, that the pony is not truly frightened, more cautious perhaps than terrified. You need to get a nice balance where you educate but not be a push over, watch your titbits with a colt/gelding.

My lad is different, much improved now, but he has a real flight drive and if he goes (all half a ton of him), he goes without warning and god help anyone in the way.

I use and still do, the pressure and release theory. Just my presence in the stable was pressure initially and the release was moving further away from him. I spent hours sat in a deckchair waiting for him to move an inch closer to me at one point !

This horse has taught me such a lot in the 3 years I have now had him. He holds his breath like your and also does huge gulping gasps, that is a sign I need to be very very careful. Have fun, be careful and be very prepared to think 'outside the box' in terms of handling and training him. I would strongly advise, as soon as you think he can cope, to allow other people (not novices) handle him. Stick to what he is used to but allow others to do it. My lad was so bad he would not allow anyone else near him. Anyone that visits me now is sent off to talk to Ted and now he views most people as bearable.

It is very rewarding, frustrating and shall we say 'interesting' dealing with these type of horses.

frostyfingers

Visit site
I have, for the time being, given up giving him any food other than a reward in a bucket for coming in and when I catch him I use a few nuts in a scoop rather than my hand. He's obviously used to mugging people for food and is very curious about hands in pockets which is a slippery slope as far as I'm concerned! I'll look at Sarah Weston's website too - I think he's just not used to being "loved", handled and dealt with yes, but actual affection no. I'm looking forward to really getting to know him and hopefully improving how he feels.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have, for the time being, given up giving him any food other than a reward in a bucket for coming in and when I catch him I use a few nuts in a scoop rather than my hand. He's obviously used to mugging people for food and is very curious about hands in pockets which is a slippery slope as far as I'm concerned! I'll look at Sarah Weston's website too - I think he's just not used to being "loved", handled and dealt with yes, but actual affection no. I'm looking forward to really getting to know him and hopefully improving how he feels.

Pictures Mrs ! if you are going to be part of the Ted Club lots and lots of pictures are required. Here is the little scrap I took on. What have you called your little one ?

tiredted004_zps04848820.jpg

frostyfingers

Visit site
Ok, here he is - first attempt at loading photos so forgive me if it doesn't work. His name is Watson, or Wattie to his mates (or "you horrible pony" after he'd pulled a rug down and widdled on it!).

At the rescue place, first time we met.

attachment.php

and meeting our fearless ginger ninja who terrified my other pony by playing with his fetlock feathers!

attachment.php

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He is smart, lots of fun as first ridden and MM. Lucky lad has landed on is feet with you. Be lovely to see him as he progresses.

spookypony

Visit site
He's very pretty! :) I've also had good experiences with clicker training a really nervous pony. It's great because it puts the decisions in his hands, um, hooves, without pressure. My pony adores it.

frostyfingers

Visit site
Just thought I'd come back to this with a little progress report. He's settling in and learning what's allowed and what's not and although he's still a bit jumpy he's much happier with me than he was and allows me to do pretty much everything without worrying. Every now and then he leaps about but I feel he trusts me now so I've started introducing the bit and doing a bit more with him. I've been walking him in hand to get some muscle on him (particularly as he's on a restricted grazing patch) and he's incredibly strong in just a head collar. He's been learning to walk with me but not lean on me and to pause and go on. Most of the time he's fine but I want to be able to lead him from my horse eventually so he can come for proper exercise and I won't do that in just a headcollar.

I started by rolling the bit in liquid molasses and letting him just lick it, then slipped the bit into the mouth while just holding it loosely and today he had it in his mouth properly with the bit attached to the headpiece on one side and then fastened on the other side once it was in. I walked him about (using the headcollar) for a few minutes then took it out and did it a second time. He seems happy with that which I'm pleased with so we'll stick to doing that for a couple of weeks. So far so good, but I think taking him to outings is beyond him at the moment - possibly a bit ambitious thinking of showing just yet, although as he comes into his summer coat he gets prettier by the day.

CazD

Visit site
I have taken on a 6 year old Welsh Sec A pony as a companion to my horse. He was rescued from a tip in S Wales as a yearling, gelded and been in a rescue centre since then.

Frostyfingers, can I ask which rescue centre you got him from? I'm in Herefordshire too and having lost my pony recently, am considering rehoming from a rescue.

kate2323

Visit site
try join up ..he will then start to follow you about ..thats a good start to trusting you ..then you can go slowly from there....

Justturnedfifty

Visit site
Just thought I'd come back to this with a little progress report. He's settling in and learning what's allowed and what's not and although he's still a bit jumpy he's much happier with me than he was and allows me to do pretty much everything without worrying. Every now and then he leaps about but I feel he trusts me now so I've started introducing the bit and doing a bit more with him. I've been walking him in hand to get some muscle on him (particularly as he's on a restricted grazing patch) and he's incredibly strong in just a head collar. He's been learning to walk with me but not lean on me and to pause and go on. Most of the time he's fine but I want to be able to lead him from my horse eventually so he can come for proper exercise and I won't do that in just a headcollar.

I started by rolling the bit in liquid molasses and letting him just lick it, then slipped the bit into the mouth while just holding it loosely and today he had it in his mouth properly with the bit attached to the headpiece on one side and then fastened on the other side once it was in. I walked him about (using the headcollar) for a few minutes then took it out and did it a second time. He seems happy with that which I'm pleased with so we'll stick to doing that for a couple of weeks. So far so good, but I think taking him to outings is beyond him at the moment - possibly a bit ambitious thinking of showing just yet, although as he comes into his summer coat he gets prettier by the day.

Hello, I only want to warn that I did something very similar to you re bitting, with a rescued Dartmoor pony who was only 3 years old at the time. I made a major mistake by not putting the bit up in his mouth properly because I thought he was still teething. This created an opportunity for him to learn how to put his tongue over the bit, and to this day, now aged 8, he is mouthy. He regularly sticks his tongue out, and if given the chance, ie, no flash strap or drop noseband, he will happily roll his tongue back and pop it over his bit. It doesn't bother him. Tongue over or tongue under, he behaves himself beautifully. When on the bit and competing BD dressage with a child all goes fantastically well but occasionally lose marks for the tongue sticking out! Comical in some respects but also frustrating. My only other advice is to keep to a strict regime when handling your new pony. Repeat your actions as often as possible and keep to a regular routine, your chap will start to meet, greet and welcome you and your actions. Once you establish a routine and he looks forward to your consistent contact, move on and progress. I agree with another post, firm contact, not tickling or light/small touches, firm touch is more reassuring. Good luck.

frostyfingers

Visit site
That's interesting Just, I'll bear it in mind. He won't be broken to ride as his main job is a companion, but I do want him to be happy in a bridle so I'll watch out. He's been with me since early December and seems used to our routine now - he was a bit bewildered at first having coming from a small herd environment and lots of staff to just one other horse and one main handler.

He came from Bransby at Stoke Prior, nr Leominster CazD who were easy to deal with and moved quickly for me when I explained that I needed a companion in a bit of a hurry. After the initial contact I went to meet the pony and then they came and did a homecheck within the week and we had him the week after. http://www.bransbyhorses.co.uk/re-homing/re-homing-companions.html. Let me know how it goes.