worm count query

LeneHorse

Visit site
couple of queries folks.
how much do you pay per horse/pony for a worm count?
how are the results delivered to you - post, phone call, email?
does it specify which type of worms horse has?
Are counts considered to be accurate?

This relates to a situation at a friends yard.

thanks xx

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I can do 3 and 4 only.
No it s not possible to speciate unless you hatch the eggs.
and it very much depends, the method used at the lab is robust and accurate. But the owners sampling may not be, and samples taken are small.

JillA

Visit site
I can't be specific on price because a friend does mine and I just cover her costs (she normally charges about £8 per horse I think but I'm not certain). Our vets do them in house and I think charge £10.
As to accuracy, that depends on how you take the sample (fresh and bits from across across the whole dropping) and how quickly it gets under the microscope, which is why local is better than sending through the post, as well as how the slide is prepared.
The eggs they look for are redworm, they can't check for tapeworm and roundworm are usually seen in the faeces anyway.
Mine of course are told verbally and I am invited to check the slide for myself. When I did use Abbey or Westgate it was by email with a hard copy in the post. Ask Borderriever on here, she is Gill from Westgate.
HTH

Leo Walker

Visit site
£3.99 for the latest one but usually £4.99, they will email, write or call depending on your preference, I think it just gives e eggs per gram result, but they are always happy to discuss the results. As for them being accurate, I think they are and they arent. I certainly wouldnt be happy to use them without worming twice a year.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As to accuracy, that depends on how you take the sample (fresh and bits from across across the whole dropping) and how quickly it gets under the microscope, which is why local is better than sending through the post, as well as how the slide is prepared.
The eggs they look for are redworm, they can't check for tapeworm and roundworm are usually seen in the faeces anyway.

ermm no, it includes all roundworm/strongyle eggs? anything that is a nematode anyway :p

as an aside tapeworm eggs can usually be seen but are not part of the test.

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
ermm no, it includes all roundworm/strongyle eggs? anything that is a nematode anyway

Not what I am told (only ever have one figure and she knows what eggs to look for) and every time I had them done before she came I was given just one figure, of eggs per gram. Presumably if there were a variety they would tell you so you would know what anthelmintics to use to target whichever species?

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Westgate say they do also sometimes see tapeworm and roundworm eggs in their FECs:
http://www.westgatelabs.co.uk/info/wormcount-results-explained

OP, I use Westgate and have 4 horses so buy the £31 pack.
I get my results by email but you can have them sent by snail mail or text, if you prefer.
I've always had my results the same day Westgate receive the sample (in contrast, Abbey Diagnostics took 10 working days the last time I used them and were unbelievably rude when I called on day 10 to ask when I might receive the results).
As Ester says, the method used at the lab is robust but owners sampling might not be.

chocolategirl

Visit site
£3.99 for the latest one but usually £4.99, they will email, write or call depending on your preference, I think it just gives e eggs per gram result, but they are always happy to discuss the results. As for them being accurate, I think they are and they arent. I certainly wouldnt be happy to use them without worming twice a year.
That's almost half the price I pay can I ask who you use? Thanks