worm count

dingle12

Visit site
does anyone else just do a worm count and not worm.Ive never come across this before my friend says she has done it for years with no problem she picks droppings out of the field daily and there is never any new horses grazing with them sends the droppings off twice a year and thats it. So does anyone do the same ???

pfarrugia

Visit site
yes, it means that wormer resistance will not grow and therefore when we need them they'll still be there!

You do the worm count everytime you would normally worm, if there are worms seen, you worm, if not, you don't. Actually works out alot cheaper as well.

ihatework

Visit site
sort of!
I do reduced worming.
March and Septemebr I worm for encysted red and tapeworm (as worm counts don't check for this)
Then December and July I just do a worm count, they have always come back negative

siennamum

Visit site
I also do this. About to worm for small redworm. did a tape dose in March, have worm counted twice this year both times negative.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I just worm count and worm if necessary. However you still need to Tape worm twice a year unless you have a blood test done as they won't show up in a worm count.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I do exactly what pbsparkle does - and I never let my horses graze on showgrounds or where other horses have been. I was wondering when someone would post this! Is anyone out there a mad poo-picker too? I am pretty fanatical about it and I try and manage my pasture properly as well.

Read somewhere 20% of horses have 80% of the worms.....

lordflynn

Visit site
yep-current yard have a system like B&Js and they poo pick their fields daily, whatever the weather/day/else they have on!

hussar

Visit site
Yes, I've done that for years - send off samples every 10-12 weeks and worm if the count is med to high (which it hardly ever is). I tapeworm the boys every autumn (as recommended by vet hosp). We don't poo-pick as the fields are too large but the horses are grazed with sheep, which seems to help too.

Prudence

Visit site
Pricey on the initial out lay, but saves in the long run IMO.

In answer to the original question, I do the same as B&J!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I think I my have the equivilant of CCD with regard to poo picking - Have been know to be out there in lightening with a metal wheelbarrow
crazy.gif
nuts or wot!!
crazy.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Good point, I forgot to add that I worm for encrusted worms in Spring & Autumn too. Normally buy a wormer that will do both Encrusted and Tape worm (Equitape I think). Don't worm for anything else, unless I get a med/high count. Poo pick daily in rain/snow or shine!!!!

Gillb

www.westgatelabs.co.uk
We have lots of customers using reduced worming programmes now, often known as the 'Liverpool method' as L Uni researched and promote it.
There is a page on my website (click the link below) with a sample reduced programme to give you an idea how it works, if that would help. There is also a full list of wormers in use in the UK at present which you can download.
Our own horses have followed the prog for years.

Any help needed just ask. Gill