Wormer ivermectin- devastated

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Just wanted to give a quick reminder/ warning to those with collies.
Wormers containing Ivermectin are toxic to collie that's carry the MDR1 gene.

What?
I expect you are thinking.
Which is what I thought.

Our young, brilliant collie has died.
He ate a small amount of Equimax which was on a carrot.
I would never allow any dog to eat horse wormer.
It was a totally accident.
Even though I feel so guilty, like I killed him myself.

Basically collies can carry this mutated gene which makes the ivermectin toxic to them.

Pleas be careful when worming, espesially around dogs.

be positive

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this, I have always had collies and it is something I dread happening to mine, however careful you are when worming it can so easily happen, don't feel guilty it was an accident that could happen to any of us, I will be extra careful when I next worm, thinking of you xxx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can imagine you are wracked with guilt. Please go easy on yourself, these things happen. Well done for having the strength to use your horrible experience to warn other people.

Amirah

Visit site
Oh you poor poor thing, that's awful. Please don't blame yourself, it wasn't your fault, just one of those freak accidents. You were just incredibly unlucky. Have a hug from me too, it was so brave of you to post and warn others. Xxx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am so sorry but go easy on yourself it was a horrible accident totally not your fault, it's something I have never heard of and because of this I won't ever forget so it was very good of you to come on here share.

Moobli

Visit site
Oh how dreadfully sad :( I am so sorry.

My vet told me about ivermectin, loperamide and other similar drugs and the risk to collies many years ago when I got my first collie pup.

Last edited by a moderator:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Awful thing to happen, but don't blame yourself.
Can the ivermectin get in horse poo? And for how long? I'd never thought of it, but my half collie eats poo in the field...I will be very aware from now on.

yes, they have to eat quite a lot of it though.

re the MDR-1 gene, if they have two copies of the mutation then they are susceptible, if they have one copy they are still susceptible but less affected. You can have a DNA test done from a cheek swab to find out. It's not just ivermectin but certain chemotherapy drugs and anaesthetics as well.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Op I'm so sorry for your loss. A tragic accident.

I didn't know this about Collies and I inherited one last year. Our horses live, therefore get wormed at home so this is very relevant information to me thankyou.

I've always thought that horse wormer was poisonous to all dogs? Is this wrong?

chillipup

Visit site
What a terrible tragic accident SoH, I'm so very sorry for you.

Our adopted rescue JRT developed severe demodectic mange not long after we took him on 10 years ago, probably due to a compromised immune system. He was given a small oral dose of Ivermectic daily and thankfully after many months and lots of money later, he made a full and complete recovery. He'll be 11 soon. The vet warned us at the time about Collies and Ivermectin, and that it was a livestock wormer and not originally licensed to treat dogs.

Last edited:

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
you poor thing OP, be kind to yourself, it was just an accident and your beautiful collie was obviously loved.

yes it can be a risk in droppings.

JJS

Visit site
I'm so sorry that you lost your lovely Collie, OP, but every word of your post rings with how much you loved him. Take comfort in that, and in the fact that you gave him a wonderful life whilst he was with you. Sending you a thousand hugs to help you get through this hard and horrible time.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Oh my gosh! My collie boy was always on the yard when I wormed my old boy, how scary, I really didn't know that!

SoH, you did NOT kill your dog. I repeat, you did NOT kill your dog. Please don't feel guilty (although grief says you will anyway), you were not responsible for him passing on. If you had given it to him then that would be another thing but picking up and eating a bit of carrot that your horse had dropped is not your fault.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Oh my gosh! My collie boy was always on the yard when I wormed my old boy, how scary, I really didn't know that!

SoH, you did NOT kill your dog. I repeat, you did NOT kill your dog. Please don't feel guilty (although grief says you will anyway), you were not responsible for him passing on. If you had given it to him then that would be another thing but picking up and eating a bit of carrot that your horse had dropped is not your fault.

This.

My collies have always been around when I worm as I also didn't know.

When I ever get ny new collie pup will have them tested.

Sending lots of hugs and love.

Nettle123

Visit site
What an awful thing to happen, so very sorry. Your post thankfully has alerted lots of collie owners on here about the dangers so that they are forewarned. A little glimmer of light shed on such a tragedy.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
it’s just collies that have the gene , and related breeds eg Australian shepherd, shetland sheepdogs.

Ive had collies for nearly 20 years now and currently have 4 BC’s. I knew about it, only because a friend nearly lost her dog in identical circumstances but she was very very lucky. Although the dog is not 100%, she was left with a lot of damage :(

Agility competitors with collies are VERY cautious when using equestrian venues and are meticulous about not letting their dogs eat any poo.

Personally, when Im worming I shut my dogs inside. The containers and packaging go straight into a sealed double bag and are put straight out into the wheelie bin. I also then dont let my dogs loose round where the horses have been, eg in the actual stables or fields for 7 days.

marotelle

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss,I was warned by my vet that ANY form of horse wormer is a potential dog killer.We are very careful with them,I have minis which means some tubes are only partially given so the rest is always carefully stored away.
Care should also be taken in not allowing them to eat any dung,not always easy!!

windseywoo

Visit site
Sorry to ask of you all, but what are the symptoms with ivermectin poisoning? I only ask as I had a collie who died, who was poorly with sickness and stomach problems and we couldn't think why it would happen as he was only 4. Having read this I'm now worried that this was the case for him and that I could have done some to prevent it. Sorry if this causes someone upset, it is not meant in that way.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Sorry to ask of you all, but what are the symptoms with ivermectin poisoning? I only ask as I had a collie who died, who was poorly with sickness and stomach problems and we couldn't think why it would happen as he was only 4. Having read this I'm now worried that this was the case for him and that I could have done some to prevent it. Sorry if this causes someone upset, it is not meant in that way.

With our collie. 3 hours after eating he started to fall over and shake, was wobbly and lost his sight. We found a vet as were at a hunter trial, she diagnosed but couldn't help as she only had horse meds, we took him straight to vets, he tried to be sick but brought nothing up.
At vets they put him in a drip, he started having seizure and they sedated him.
Then into a coma.
They tried to bring him round but the seizures were severe and affected his breathing and he had taken fluid into his lungs.
He was put down 36 hours after eating the ivermectin.
He was 5 and a fit and healthy boy.

We are devastated and miss him hugely.