Wormers and Lice/Mites

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi folks, just after a bit of advice off any worming/lice/mites experts out there!

I run a small livery yard, have three horses/two shetlands which are mine and hubby's and I have five livery horses/ponies. My old boy (he's an ID) started scratching something terrible a few weeks ago, anyway to cut a long story short, on the vets advice he's been clipped out completely and is responding successfully to pergolide for suspected cushings (he is in only very light work but used to sweat badly so the vet thought it might be some kind of bacterial skin infection off all the sweat) ive also done him from head to toe with coopers fly repellent on her advice just incase it was lice although she couldnt see any when she examined him. He is still a bit itchy so shes coming to give him a dectomax jab on Thursday.

Anyway what i'm wanting to know is, all the other horses are having the odd itch on the fences, gates etc but nothing like my Blue was, they are all about due to be wormed so am I right in thinking there is a wormer on the market that kills lice and mites too?, if that is the case I am going to ask that everyone does their horse with this wormer at the weekend, just to be on the safe side? This is more a precaution than anything else just in case the horses do have a few visitors, the other alternative is to get the vet to jab the lot of them on Thursday, but, cost wise, I dont know how feasable that will be for some of the liveries?

Anyway your help, as always, would be much appreciated and sorry for rambling on for so long!!!

Luv Jayne x

samstar

Visit site
when my loan horse had lice I bought a large tub lice powder from mole valley farmers and it did the trick with in a week.
For mites I had him injected every 6 months.

Cahill

Visit site
dog frontline pump spray on heels for mites.i used that once and never needed to again.pony used to stamp and rub hinds together when i 1st got her.
it is not licenced for horses so if you buy it ,you have to say it is for you dog,but it was recomended to me by a vet.

Cahill

Visit site
from past experience i have found the louse powder more of a deterrent for others in the herd than a treatment for the infested one.

PennyJ

Visit site
IVERMECTIN is the active ingredient you want in your wormer. It only works if they're the blood sucking lice though (I gather there is another sort)

Oh, and Deosect is another louse treatment you could try if you wanted.

D

Donkeymad

Exactly what I was going to say PennyJ
grin.gif