wormers in feed

paddi22

Visit site
Does equest pramox work effectively if you mix it with feed?

I've a few nightmare rescues and headcases for worming, and i've only full power in one arm at the the moment, so it's impossible.

Does wormer work if you mix it into feed and make sure they eat it all?!

be positive

Visit site
I have had a couple that were impossible to worm so they always got it mixed in a small amount of feed, there is no reason it should not work as long as you ensure they eat it all.

paddi22

Visit site
Apple juice seemed to do the job mixed with beetpulp. A hovering gelding threatening to steal the buckets seemed to encourage the mares to eat theirs without much inspection or fuss!

nikkimariet

Visit site
I'm impressed. Fig won't eat for 24 hours if you just show him the tube... He's a syringe job and thankfully (I guess) I've become a dab hand at that!

applecart14

Visit site
I doubt a horse would take a wormer in a feed as they dislike the taste tremendously. Can't you just grab the tongue and hold it out of the side of the mouth and shove the wormer down with the other hand? Damp your hand sprinkle with sugar and it will give you a better grip on a slimy tongue! :)

paddi22

Visit site
trouble is applecart i can only use one arm properly, I had a fall years ago and have limited mobility and power in one arm. I manage ok with most things, but worming is just impossible (as is doing the girth from the left and also mounting correctly!) It's the biggest annoyance!

Love the tip about the sugar though, had never heard of that!

TGM

Visit site
I've found some will take wormer in the feed and some won't. I usually mix up a feed containing soaked beet and what ever other normal feed the horse has and add chopped or grated carrot, and sometimes some extra strong mints (if the horses are used to them) as this can help mask the smell/taste of the wormer.

wench

Visit site
I have an easy worm and use that for my awful to worm horse. She doesn't generally like her feed laced with "extras" but seems to take most things in very watery grass nuts.

Achinghips

Visit site
There's a surprisingly small amount of wormer in a tube these days. Put it in a big feed and it doesn't get noticed by mine.