Worming advice please

bigboyrocky

Visit site
Need some advice on worming... My horse was last wormed around march/april and was wormed with Equimax which i believe covers roundworms, lungworms, bots and tapeworms...

Need to sort out a worming program for him but am a confused by it all... helpp!!! what wormer should i be looking to use next??

MissChaos

Visit site
Borderreiver on here is Gill from Westgate Labs and they're excellent (drop her a pm or email them) - happy to advise on a suitable programme based on horse's history and circumstances and they're also impartial. Chances are they'll recommend a worm count as a starting point to establish any burden and save worming and increasing tolerance and chemical load unnecessarily. Really very cheap considering - about £10 per count 2-3 times per year and at least you know you're targeting appropriately rather than making educated guesses. One thing to note overall - vary the brand and type where possible to avoid increasing tolerance to one in particular.

Others use Intelligent Worming (I just prefer buying my own wormers!) and most vets also offer worm counts and tailored programmes.

Last edited:

Izzwizz

Visit site
My Vets advised Equimax which as you say covers Tapeworms, back in March. You should then do for tapes again at the end of the grazing season so using the same product again is ok. You need to do with Equest around say January to get rid of any encysted red worms, then in Spring for tapes again using such as Eqvalan Duo (changing the product from one year to the next). After the Spring worming, worm count through Summer until Autumn again worming for tapes and so on. Poo picking helps to keep your fields clean. It also depends on where you keep your horse, with others?, on a yard? field management, horse's worming history.