Worming bit

tankgirl1

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone uses one? I ordered one and was a bit sceptical when it arrived as it looked HUGE! Also it wasa bit pricey at £24

Tried it out today with a probiotic paste and it worked a treat! I'm going to try and keep using it for the next couple of weeks with something tasty like apple sauce so that when it comes time to pramox them they won't hate it

JillA

Visit site
I tried one and TBH most of the paste stayed in the bit. I now use tablets for any horses that can't be syringed but FECs with NES for years mean I only worm for tapes anyway

tankgirl1

Visit site
I tried one and TBH most of the paste stayed in the bit. I now use tablets for any horses that can't be syringed but FECs with NES for years mean I only worm for tapes anyway

What tablets do you use and how do you get them to take them out of interest? Vet has advised pramox as their saliva test came back moderate to high for tape

ETA - I didn't have any wastage of the paste today? Maybe there are different types of bits?

Diddleydoo

Visit site
I use one, have done for about 4 years now. It's made worming so much easier and less stressful for both of us.

Mine has 'stick' thing that goes in after the wormer and pushes it all through so there's not loads left in the tube.

I FEC and Equisal so don't use it much but it's a great help for the occasions I do need it

tankgirl1

Visit site
I use one, have done for about 4 years now. It's made worming so much easier and less stressful for both of us.

Mine has 'stick' thing that goes in after the wormer and pushes it all through so there's not loads left in the tube.

I FEC and Equisal so don't use it much but it's a great help for the occasions I do need it

Do they get worried when you use it? Or when you bit/bridle them the next day?

Diddleydoo

Visit site
Do they get worried when you use it? Or when you bit/bridle them the next day?

Mine's a fairly forgiving type, she's unhappy for about half an hour after the deed is done. Won't take a treat and doesn't touch her hay or feed then she gets over it and we're back to normal. Obviously this could simply be the lingering taste of the wormer but she does look at me somewhat reproachfully o_O.

I've never had an issue with the bit or bridle after using the eazywormer but I always use it with a halter and I'm reasonably sure she knows the difference.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Mine's a fairly forgiving type, she's unhappy for about half an hour after the deed is done. Won't take a treat and doesn't touch her hay or feed then she gets over it and we're back to normal. Obviously this could simply be the lingering taste of the wormer but she does look at me somewhat reproachfully o_O.

I've never had an issue with the bit or bridle after using the eazywormer but I always use it with a halter and I'm reasonably sure she knows the difference.

My mare just snorted and mare stared at me, took an apple out my hand like it was the most awful thing ever, she ate it mind :rolleyes:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yup had it over 10 years and she's still not worked it out, was inclined to rear without, no fuss at all with or after.

Do give a feed with it still in to ensure it mostly gets down and overdose a bit to account for the bits that stay stuck to the outside. Once she's eating you can remove it and scrape bits off and she'll eat them.

Last edited:

JillA

Visit site
Sorry - been busy. These are what I used, they are quite palatable and less wastage because I could share them better by horse weight https://www.vetuk.co.uk/horse-supplies-horse-wormers-c-540_174/equimax-horse-wormer-8-tablets-p-2580
I would have to disagree with your vet - Pramox is quite strong (and quite bitter!) and indicated for bots as well as the normal culprits. If you have a low FEC but positive for tapes, those tablets will do the job, or else get Equitape. Over worming can lead to resistance so really only worm for what you know you are having to eradicate

Leo Walker

Visit site
I would have to disagree with your vet - Pramox is quite strong (and quite bitter!) and indicated for bots as well as the normal culprits. If you have a low FEC but positive for tapes, those tablets will do the job, or else get Equitape. Over worming can lead to resistance so really only worm for what you know you are having to eradicate

Exactly, we've had a few frosts now so its time to worm for bots. The horse has tape worms and may or may not have encysted redworm. Pramox works for all of those and has little known resistance as of yet. The tablets you linked to are ivermectin which has increasing resistance problems, although not as bad as some yet.

Over worming is absolutely not whats happening here. Although ironically I would be concerned that you are using the same ingredient every time you worm. Thats much more of an issue than worming with Pramox this time of year!

JillA

Visit site
Although ironically I would be concerned that you are using the same ingredient every time you worm. Thats much more of an issue than worming with Pramox this time of year!

I only ever worm for tapes - the one I linked to was a product I used some years ago, best not to jump to conclusions.
Good pasture management has resulted in NES for about 5 years now so tapes is all I worry about. And my friend who lectures in parasitology recommends doing FECs AFTER any encysted redworm have emerged in the warmer weather so they aren't a risk either.