Worming for Red Encysted advice please

Spangles

Visit site
Now we’ve had a very cold snap with snow flurries & freezing temperatures should we be worming for red encysted ?

what does everyone use, vet advised Pramox for when need to worm

EmmaC78

Visit site
Pramox is the only one i could find that did tapeworm and encysted redworm. I'll be worming with that in the next week or so.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Anecdotally there have been a great number of adverse reactions to worming with Pramox. It is to drugs combined and too strong for some horses. It's renouned for causing foot sensitivity in barefoot horses. I haven't used it since a rep for the company who makes it told me that they personally wouldn't.

I give ivermectin/praziqantel for tape and moxidectin alone for encysted redworm.

I especially wouldn't give Pramox to a horse with a dodgy gut.

Last edited:

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Have wormed my 3 under vets advice with pramox for several years and not had any issues.
However I know some horses can have a bit of a reaction to it. It might be worth having an FEC done as although it doesn't show redworm, it will give you an idea of the horse's general worm burden, and if worm burden is particularly high use something milder such as panacur 5 day course. I'd recommend Westgate labs as they will also recommend which wormer you should use.

ed&arch

Visit site
Anecdotally there have been a great number of adverse reactions to worming with Pramox. It is to drugs combined and too strong for some horses. It's renouned for causing foot sensitivity in barefoot horses. I haven't used it since a rep for the company who makes it told me that they personally wouldn't.

I give ivermectin/praziqantel for tape and moxidectin alone for encysted redworm.

This is the combination I’m going to use. Out of interest - do you leave any days apart between the two doses? Do you give Equimax/Eqvalan and then Equest a few days later?

J&S

Visit site
I have been advised to use Pramox. The ponies have low - nothing worm counts (1 @6 1 @ 0) so no over burdening there, but I can't see why I could not just us Equest, any thoughts?? Worm counts done by Vets and advice from them by the way.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have been advised to use Pramox. The ponies have low - nothing worm counts (1 @6 1 @ 0) so no over burdening there, but I can't see why I could not just us Equest, any thoughts?? Worm counts done by Vets and advice from them by the way.

Have you either done a tapeworm test or wormed for tapeworm in the last 6 months. If not then Equest on its own won't cover that.

Pramox will do both or use Equest, leave a gap, the use either praziquantal or double pyrantel for the tapes.

onemoretime

Visit site

This ^^^^^^^^^

paddy555

Visit site

no way would I use pramox on anything. I do equest only at the end of this month. I equisal tested for tapes last Oct and wormed those that needed it then.

Before the equi sal test I always used separate wormers for encysted and tapes. I was told by Western Counties Equine to use pramox. I asked why expecting a complicated scientific reason. The reason was simply that I might forget if I had to use 2 separate wormers. :D

I would just use the equest and if you haven't tested for tapes do it and worm separately if you need to.

AandK

Visit site
I’ve used Pramox with no issues over the years until last year when my 24yo had colic just after having a dose. I do tapeworm separately now, just about to use Equest for encysted redworm and will saliva test in Spring to see if I need to treat for tapeworm.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
another who doesn't use Pramox, i know anecdote does not equal data but there are enough anecdotes to put me off especially as it's not essential to use it in order to have effective worm control. i also try to only give one dose of equest a year when necessary in an attempt to slow the progression towards resistance.

i think it's a bit of a poor show that they combine it with praziquantel tbh, I sort of feel like moxidectin ought to be a wormer of last resort in order to maintain it's efficacy and there are other ways to target tapes if that's what you are after.

paddy555

Visit site
did anyone ever find the reason equitape was discontinued? and hasn't been replaced with a similar product. Googled and can't find any reason.

windand rain

Visit site
Would never use Pramox it can be lethal so as others I do them separately equest gel between christmas and new year and equimax april Oct

SEL

Visit site
i think it's a bit of a poor show that they combine it with praziquantel tbh, I sort of feel like moxidectin ought to be a wormer of last resort in order to maintain it's efficacy and there are other ways to target tapes if that's what you are after.

Me too esp when you've got one who comes up positive on Equisal but only needs doing for tape. Couldn't get vet to prescribe tapeworm only and Pramox was the only one he hadn't had this year.