worming help please

Shavings

Visit site
ok im sorry guys this may be been done to death but i need a clear answer

so 4 horses had a worm count done 2 came back clear nothing 2 came back low

vet is advising i do a 5 day on them

how ever chance was done with a 5 day in September, i always always told never use the same wormer twice in a row

any one any advice what else to us?

whiteflower

Visit site
Normally at low I wouldn't treat so is your vet suggesting the 5 day to cover encysted red worm ? You need to treat for encysted red worm at this time of year as it won't show on worm counts, normally after cold temperatures and some heavy frost is the best time I believe.

I use Westgate labs and they are fantastic with advice, my vets less so....

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have an awful lot of horses to worm - and I have a system that seems to work well. This time of year I use Equimax, which does tapeworms, bots, and the usual worms. In March/April, I use Equest, which does the usual worms, mature and encysted. Then I just use Eraquell (half the price) which does the 'normal' worms. 5-day wormers are a no-no for me - with 44 horses to do!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have an awful lot of horses to worm - and I have a system that seems to work well. This time of year I use Equimax, which does tapeworms, bots, and the usual worms. In March/April, I use Equest, which does the usual worms, mature and encysted. Then I just use Eraquell (half the price) which does the 'normal' worms. 5-day wormers are a no-no for me - with 44 horses to do!

I did the same as this used an equimax a few weeks back then I would do an equest in January, I don't use the 5 day panacur have heard there is resistance so don't bother with it.

whiteflower

Visit site
I did the same as this used an equimax a few weeks back then I would do an equest in January, I don't use the 5 day panacur have heard there is resistance so don't bother with it.

This, I also don't use panacur guard as I believe there is some reported resistance, I use equestrian although those are the two wormers (and equestrian pramox obviously) that include encysted redworm.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This, I also don't use panacur guard as I believe there is some reported resistance, I use equestrian although those are the two wormers (and equestrian pramox obviously) that include encysted redworm.

I won't use pramox as have known a few horses to be quite ill afterwards but will use equest