Worming question

fatponee

Visit site
Quick question everyone...

I wormed my horses with Panacur 5 day guard at Christmas. Worm counted last week and they came back with scores of 200 - 250, the highest they've ever had. They were due to be dosed for tapeworm so I treated them with Equimax on Sunday. Yesterday they had dead redworms in their droppings.

Am presuming this means the Equimax has worked BUT does this mean the Panacur a few months ago didn't work or they are resistant to it? Or is it just encycted redworms emerging (in which case why didn't the Panacur kill them)?

Borderreiver

Visit site
It's impossible to say now but it sounds like some resistance to Panacur. It is very common for worms to be resistant but it may have partially worked. If you choose Panacur then you should test two weeks afterwards to be sure it has worked. If the count is significant then don't use it again. If it has cleared then it can be used with your horse again. Having said that, the result you had was only just into medium and it's a very long gap since Christmas so not too bad. The dosing gap for Panacur is six weeks.

Now that you have used Equimax it would be a good idea to worm count in a couple of months and only worm again if you need to.

fatponee

Visit site
Thank you!

Planning on another worm count in the summer so fingers crossed the count will be low again.

Would it be best for me to use Pramox every year in the winter from now on?

shannonandtay

Visit site
There is some resistance to panacur apparently more so in the south for some reason, I would worm with pramox or plain equest for encysted red worm to be on the safe side in future.