Worming woes!!! Need advise/help please!

cobgirlie

Visit site
The yard I keep my horse on isn't the most luxurious BUT we have fabulous hacking, an indoor school, it's cheap, my horse is extreamly happy there and the other liveries are lovely!! The only major problem is the grazing is appauling and the YO isn't the best at organisation or maintance, therefore the fields are not harrowed properly and never rested. Myself and the other livery who shares my field worm at the same time and always have done, unfortunately other horses do get shoved into our field because our lads are easy going and they are in a big paddock to themselves, I don't mind this but it's becoming apparent that the other horses are not always as stringently wormed as ours and my cob has now got worms!! He had them before and I thought I'd got rid of them but obviously not, I think looking at pictures the type he has is Ascarids which worryingly are usually found in young horses but he's 9???

So my question is what is the best course of action? I've spoken to a trainer friend who said he worms all his point 2 pointers every 6 weeks come what may, but that seems very high doses to me!?? I'm happy to spend the money but obviously don't want to overdose him!! I'm starting him on a 5 day course of Panacure tonight but wanted some advise because i'm really struggling, I thought worming him as per instructions on the worming products would avoid this. :( My other horse is fine, but I'll follow the same course as the cob because it's scared me quiet frankly.

dalesslave

Visit site
Please note faecal egg counts also do not show encysted redworm As an alternative to panacur try Equest Pramox just in case you have benzimidizole resistance this will also do tapeworms too and is actally easier on the gut as encysted worms die within the gut lining and are reabsorbed rather than erupting out, which is what causes the damage, if you have already wormed for tapeworms then just use equest you really need to try and encourage a standard yard approach to pasture management and worming.

cobgirlie

Visit site
Thank you I'd definately be interested in a leaflet, I'll pm you my email addy.

Just found another thread (with pictures...I wasn't that on the ball!!) and they are the same as what I found in his droppings. So reading though it I think you are right and they are pin worms..which does make me a bit less stressed but still stressed!!

Lol!! The trainer I spoke to is VERY old school so can't say I'm surprised he's abit out of touch.

Dalesslave, I've been using Equest Pramox, I usually buy a yearly pack of wormer to ensure I have what's needed, so would I be better getting something different this time? Believe me I've tried to encourage better management, it's me and the other livery banging our heads I'm afraid!! I've been told some of the 'random' horses are being removed to new pasture soon so hopefully we'll have more control over our paddock then.

Last edited:

amandap

Visit site
Getting the correct weight of the horse for dosing is crucial. I have come to believe that many horses may be under dosed so contributing to worm resistance. Any weighbridge nearby? lol I take weigh tape measurements a few times, it's surprising how much they vary as well as being inaccurate anyway.:(

cm2581

Visit site
Getting the correct weight of the horse for dosing is crucial. I have come to believe that many horses may be under dosed so contributing to worm resistance. Any weighbridge nearby? lol I take weigh tape measurements a few times, it's surprising how much they vary as well as being inaccurate anyway.:(

My horse was 570kg on weigh tape and 640 on weigh bridge!!! Always add 10% to a weightape reading for wormer dosing. My horse is only 15.2 and not overweight. 1 syringe is not enough!

cobgirlie

Visit site

Not such a funny question, we actually have one 3 minutes away from the yard!! I was planning to take him there anyway cos we need weights for the new lorry!!:D I must admit I just give him the full dose, he's (on a weight tape) 510kg cob so I think the whole thing is better than faffing around.

cobgirlie

Visit site
My horse was 570kg on weigh tape and 640 on weigh bridge!!! Always add 10% to a weightape reading for wormer dosing. My horse is only 15.2 and not overweight. 1 syringe is not enough!

Interesting. Mines is 15.2 heavy weight cob so I expect I'd have a similar difference. Might give him a full and quarter dose this time.

amandap

Visit site
Not such a funny question, we actually have one 3 minutes away from the yard!! I was planning to take him there anyway cos we need weights for the new lorry!!:D I must admit I just give him the full dose, he's (on a weight tape) 510kg cob so I think the whole thing is better than faffing around.
Oh lucky, lucky you.:)

I do add to my tape measurements but didn't like to post that on an open forum. ;)

Jnhuk

Visit site
Remember to disinfect everything as well that your horse will have come in contact with or rubbed on, otherwise in several months time, you will be in the same position. Don't forget haynets and grooming kits!

Other good advice here from other posters - worm counts and targeted worming dependent on your results.

Also, do not trust weigh tapes as they are approximate. Always give a healthy margin as hard to overdose wormers. My two horses when weighed were 702kg (16.1h WBx) and 848kg (17.1h ISH) which even surprised the vets! Weightape had the larger horse short by near 90kg

Best of luck and I am sure there was an article in H&H on pinworms in the last few months

Last edited: