Worming

lovecharles

Visit site
I have my two horses wormed on Verm-X, strongly recommended by several people including a vet nurse.

It is a all-in-1, but surely using it every time can make it ineffective?

If i was to chnage to a worming plan, what would you suggest? i have no idea where to start? Also, how much are the chemical wormers. The Verm-X is about £10 per horse.

claireelizabeth

Visit site
You could always get a worm count done if you want to check your worming programme is working. I always thought you had a rotation year every 3rd year. We use the pastes that kill all parasites (forgot the name) apart from tapeworm so use Equimax in Spring and autumn.

kellyeaton

Visit site
i would worm count see what you are working with first then if they have no burden no need to worm if they do have a burden i would go with the equest and equest promax worming programme because they cover all worms and no resistance report so far!

D

Donkeymad

Totally agree with babybells
grin.gif

L

lilym

Verm - x is not a wormer in the sense that it is proven to kill parasites. I highly doubt it's ability to kill the encysted larval stage of the small redworm for instance...
I would also like to say worm counts are NOT fool proof!! You can get "false negative" counts, which can mean you have a large worm burden that are not yet at an egg laying stage, Worm egg counts do not detect the prescence of tapeworm nor do they detect the precence of enncysted small redworm - the most pathogenic of worms to affect horses.

In your situation i would worm strategically - that is treat certain worms at certain times of the year to be wholly effective in breaking the life cycle and preventing resistance, the less chemicals you use the better.
You have two optitions regarding tapeworm - treat or have a tapeworm antibody test (availible from your vet) Encysted small redworm will need treating regardless, there is no test for this disease. In Autumn, you could use Equest pramox (blue box), this will kill everything, and has a long dosing interval, then, depending on your individual circumstances in 13 weeks time you can use Eques t(green box) which treats everything except tapes. you then alternate these two produt over the year.
My personal preference is to use pramox in november, again in march and from march until the following november i do counts, to check my programme is working.
So as you can see I have complete worm control in 2 doses per year costing less than £40 - cheaper than verm x and highly effective. Speak to your vet or SQP at your feed shop or PM if you wish, with your set up and circumstances - I hold the SQP qualification!.