Worming

fairyclare

Visit site
On Friday my mare was scanned in foal 16/17 days (heartbeat scan in 2 weeks time!)
We are due to worm as per the worming programme at the yard - strongid p is the wormer of choice.

I have spoken to the vet who said just avoid the equest wormers.

I'm just wondering if, at this very early stage I should hold off worming her?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

MissTyc

Visit site
While Pyrantel is just about the safest wormer for mares and foals, at this time of year you're way better off having a regularvworm count and worming only when she needs it.
Use her pregnancy as an excuse to alter the yard "programme" ... it's not a programme if it includes regular summer worming without any testing to check for current burden + also wormer efficacy.

ETA: I suppose the response to your question was yes it is safe lol ... I have become a bit militant about worming having witnessed (3 years ago) the loss of two beautiful young horses due to a yard's terrible approach to worming and indoctrination of liveries ...

fairyclare

Visit site
Sorry I should have said we do worm count however we continually getting high tape worm readings and the cost of the tape worm tests and then either a double dose of wormer or a single equest/paramox people started questioning how testing was effective when the tape worm count was rising.
So it was decided that we would all worm every 6 months instead of the equisal test.
I have spoken to westgate this morning who say strongid p isn't licenced for mares in foal but a nose on the internet is saying something g different!

I'm very much again blanket worming and was thinking I'll buy the wormer and just chuck it to keep the peace!