worming

nikkianddave

Visit site
What are you worming for next, and when do you start?

what are your worming routines?

we have a worm count twice a year, in spring just before they go out and in winter just as they come in x

SEL

Visit site
I'm about to do tapeworm, but as I suspect one of mine might have pinworm I'm also doing a 'normal' wormer out of routine. I can't actually pick up any signs of worms, but she's really itchy around her tail and the sweet itch stuff is having no effect.

I then do equest for encysted redworm as soon as the first decent frosts hit.

JillA

Visit site
I then do equest for encysted redworm as soon as the first decent frosts hit.

Can I point out that if they don't have redworm (strongyles) to begin with, there are none to encyst during the cold weather and therefore none to emerge as the weather gets warmer (confirmed by a friend who does my FECs and lectures in parasitology at a local equine/agri college).
So if your FECs have been clear through out the year, you are adding to resistance for no good reason if you get all hung up and worm for encysted strongyles. And if there are any and they are encysted, anthelmintics don't get rid of them until they emerge. The advice she gave me is not to bother unless there were some eggs seen, but if there were, worm as the weather gets warmer, and otherwise just for tapes unless you do the saliva test.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
On a previous yard I worm counted and didn't worm.
Last yard all horses were wormed Autumn and Spring, no ifs, buts or maybes.
New yard owners are in charge of own program so I'll be worm egg counts from now on - just got worm counts done and one has a medium worm egg count and one has a high tapeworm count so worming with Eraquell and Strongid P.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Can I ask the thread any thoughts of worming if prone to laminitis or just coming out of a recent flare up getting conflicting advice. Just wondered what hh thought

Cecile

Visit site