Worming

Horseperson432

Visit site
Do you get a worm egg count and then worm? Or just go for the routine worming option? If so how often are your horses wormed? Am interested as before today I had never realised it was something so many people had different opinions on!! :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Counts then worm if count results show that they need it. Counts three times a year.
I routinely do equest Paramox after first frost in winter to kill encysted worms and tape which don't show on egg tests.

I haven't yet tried the tape saliva test as IMHO it's prohibitively expensive when I have to worm for encysted anyway.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Counts then worm if count results show that they need it. Counts three times a year.
I routinely do equest Paramox after first frost in winter to kill encysted worms and tape which don't show on egg tests.

I haven't yet tried the tape saliva test as IMHO it's prohibitively expensive when I have to worm for encysted anyway.
I do similar to this, except I don't use pramox and prefer to cover tapeworm another way if necessary. I have done the equisal tests in the past.
There are quite a few people offering worm counts now, I've used Westgate in the past, my vets also offer it and at the moment I'm using Poopost :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

You're right that by the time you've done the tapeworm test, you could just buy the wormer. However one of my horses repeatedly came back with a positive test and I found that Praziquantel - the active ingredient in Pramox for Tapeworm - wasn't having any effect but a double dose of Pyrantel did reduce.

I then use Equest (just Moxidectin) for encysted redworm.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
You're right that by the time you've done the tapeworm test, you could just buy the wormer. However one of my horses repeatedly came back with a positive test and I found that Praziquantel - the active ingredient in Pramox for Tapeworm - wasn't having any effect but a double dose of Pyrantel did reduce.

I then use Equest (just Moxidectin) for encysted redworm.
yes, whereas mine came back negative on the tapeworm test, so I didn't need to give that wormer anyway :) I'd prefer not to dose them for stuff they didn't need if possible, we are going to be stuck when the current drugs have high levels of resistance.

AFB

Visit site

This has been my method for the last few years. Going to try the saliva test this year rather than Pramox unnecessarily. I've used Westgate & my vets, founds Westgate really easy to deal with and keeping a record online really handy. Currently use my vets as a chunk of the yard all send them in together.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I do my own counts and have used the Equisal for tapes a few times. If counts suggest that a wormer is needed, I will use one that covers tapes anyway and skip the test. I tend to let the count numbers get higher than the usual '200epg'. This figure was plucked out of the air some time ago without any real evidence. Suggestions now are that it should be much higher, but the horse world isn't ready for a jump to 1000epg as a cut off, let alone 10,000 that has been suggested!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
yes, whereas mine came back negative on the tapeworm test, so I didn't need to give that wormer anyway :) I'd prefer not to dose them for stuff they didn't need if possible, we are going to be stuck when the current drugs have high levels of resistance.

Yes, it seems in my area at least, there is some tapeworm resistance to Praziquantel. My other one always had a negative test for tapeworm (and everything else) so only got encysted redworm. once a year

Polos Mum

Visit site

This is very true, I will use this as a nudge to try the saliva test this year.

Daughter of the Moor

Visit site
I worm count, using Westgate as they give the number of eggs seen, if any. Some places only state eggs seen not the quantity. I try to avoid worming as the chemicals in wormers do a lot of damage to soil organisms. I also poo pick every day, leaving a small amount for the dung eaters if present.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I send poo for testing 4 times a year and worm according to the result. Old mare hardly ever needs worming..young mare needs worming probably twice in the year.

Lucky788

Visit site
Westgate are fab! I usually worm once a year for tape but now their tape worm test is more established I will do that this year before worming.

find Westgate super helpful with advice and tips.

My horses are out in a herd in to bigger field to poo pick so I always worry about worms despite the field being harrowed and find the worm counts really handy. Also Westgate do a yearly pack that works out really reasonable ?