Worms, can anyone help?

Chellebean

chellebeanequestrian.com
Hey all

Right, I need to pick your brains! As part of our worming regime we do a worm count every 12 weeks or so. Any way 95% of the horses are coming back with minimal worm counts, and then the remainder were either not there back in November when they had paranox or they are Sailor :(

Every worm count we have done he seems to come back of a count around 200. Although this is on the border of whether to worm or not, it seems to be a constant with him. My YO and I were discussing it and we think S has an intolerence to fight them off.

Now for the question, we believe there is a herb/spice that can be feed as a natural wormer but we can't remember exactly what it is :rolleyes: Can anyone help? It's something like curry powder/turmeric/cumin

Curry and a pint to those who can help answer the question :D

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Is it Cayenne Pepper?
I think garlic is supposed to be effective against tapework and roundworm and pinworm as well, but not 100% sure....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think you might be thinking of wormwood, the main ingredient in absinthe. We have a plant in our garden but actually nothing ever bothers to have a nibble on it. There is a company making herbal wormers (Vermex?), which presumably have a combination of herbs.
Not sure what you mean by 'an intolerance to fight them off'. Do you think he has a particular reaction to a normal wormer which means that it doesn't work for him?
I think if I were you, I'd not worm him this time and see what his worm count is like next time before making a decision.

team barney

Visit site
There are a few people manufacture herbal worm repellents.

Ellen Collinson No Verms
Verm-X
Thunderbrook Verm Clense
Equimins Parasite Repel
Four Seasons Anti-Parasitic
Wormclear

castleboy

Visit site
have you tried something called Diatom ( Diatomaceous Earth ) its a 100% natural product added to your horse/ponies feed as a natural wormer. We had a younster who had a problem with pinworms and a long story (which i wont bore you with ) with loads of chemical wormers and vets over many mths with no results. This product managed to get rid of them , was added to his feed for 4wks and they have never returned after 18 mths. can be used as a complete wormer and kills all worms but does need to be given on a reg basis .