Worried about my little man...

katiejaye

Visit site
Was much cooler tonight so put some jumps up tonight with a friend to have a little pop as the weather has been so warm I haven't dared do any jumping over the last couple of weeks. Louis normally loves his jumping but tonight he seemed quite quiet in his stable and walked right into the corner of his stable and stood with his head down. I thought he may have been a little tired from his turn out so I thought i'd warm him up and see how he felt. He was a little lazy at first but then perked up when he did a couple of small fences.

I only did a few pops as as we came over a small double he did a real bucking bronko act. I'm used to him being a little stong/fast and putting in a little buck here and there but nothing so "energetic"! I stopped straight away as I felt something was definately not right. He didn't appear lame or too stiff just a little quiet and "not quiet right". The only other thing I noticed was that he had a little nose bleed. He has had 3 or 4 of these recently, nothing major just a little trickle, but I have just put this down to the heat.

He is not the type of horse that "complains" very often and is quite a little soldier, he only really "complains" when there is really something bothering him? He's put in a couple of stops here and there while jumping recently so i'm thinking maybe his back may be bothering him?

Of course i'll have all avenues checked and i'll get his back etc checked over but i wondered if anyone had any suggestions in the meanwhile.

I stayed late tonight and by the time I left he was eating away and seemed ok in himself. YO lives on the yard so said he'll keep on eye on him tonight.

JAK

Visit site
Oh, poor Louis - no, he doesn't sound quite right at all, does he?
frown.gif

(LBO always takes himself off into the corner of his stable & just stands there looking all droopy & sorry for himself when he feels poorly & I always worry if I see him standing in that position!)

The recent nosebleeds are a little worrying but may of course, be something completely unconnected!
Hope he is a bit brighter tomorrow but yes, I would be as concerned as you if it were one of mine!
I know they can have their 'off days' but behaving completely out of character always gives cause for concern, doesn't it?

katiejaye

Visit site
It's a hard thing to put my finger on but I just feel that he's feeling a little sorry for himself. I really hope he perks up because i'm sitting here all worried about the little man!

fjudge

Visit site
I know its probably nothing serious, but maybe you should call the vet out? That way, if its a virus or something, it will get sorted quickly, also, it will put your mind to rest. Im sure it is nothing to worry about, but the nosebleeds dont sound normal!

katiejaye

Visit site
I'm going to def get the vet out anyway to give him a once over and have all avenues checked out. The nose bleeds I haven't worried about as he's had a few in the past normally if he's been exerting himself i.e. competing SJ/XC or hooning around the field in the heat and had it checked and been told it's nothing serious and just happens sometimes when horses exert themselves and the little blood vessels at the top of the nose burst. I will like you say have it checked again but I'm hoping that it's just a coincidence that he had a nose bleed.

Accy

Visit site
Hope he is feeling better soon and you get to the bottom of it, maybe just an off day but worth looking into

_jetset_

Visit site
You're right, he doesn't sound right at all. This has been going on for a few days and now that it has cooled down you can erradicate the heat as a possible cause.

I agree with Jak that four nosebleeds in a short time are a little worrying, and I think you are doing the right thing by getting the vet out to check him over. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind!

I hope he is ok, I am sure this will be something and nothing. Perhaps he has a virus of some kind.

katiejaye

Visit site
Thanks I have just spoken to YO and he said Louis has really perked up today and is looking very well and was very energetic in the field! I am unfortunately stuck at work until late so YO/instructor is riding Louis today and said he will give me a full report on how he is. I will call the vet when I am on my break and hopefully she can come tomorrow to do a thorough once over.