worried, horse looks like bar plus heel coming off??

amandaco2

Visit site
Photo6977.jpg

He has been on holiday for 12 weeks, living out. His frogs have got smaller since being on holiday.
Bit worried out a hind foot. He had some very flakey sole which I scraped off when picking out. The next day there was a gap under the end of the bar and the day after he looks like the whole bar is coming off? Plus the heel.....
hes not lame, should I just keep it clean and spray with antibacterial stuff or does it need a farrier to parr it off??just worried if it takes unnecessary horn off as he walks about on it? It goes right down to the bit where the frog and heel meet.....

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would be walking out on tarmac to improve the frogs, you say the heel, do you mean what I call the quarters?
Is he on a good mineral for the barefoot horse, if not get him on some, pro earth do pro hoof to provide max supplement.
Check thoroughly for thrush as well.
No molasses.
Maybe ring farrier/trimmer.

Last edited:

amandaco2

Visit site
No molasses. Hes on pro balance.
hes just starting work again so his frogs will beef up again in no time, its just the bar and heel split im worried about? I snapped a bit off today that was almost off anyway, so hopefully it wont rip right up the heel....

missyclare

Visit site
His bars have been excessive and he's lucky that its peeling off. See how it sits higher than the heel platform? Imagine how that would interfere with a heel first landing. Atleast it is the right shape. The one on the other side however, is still excessive and shaped like a roller coaster ride. The top points of elevation on that shape will be jamming down the whole bar wall and into the groove. See the horizontal crack halfway down it? It's trying to self-trim as well. That crack is exactly where the bar should be in height. This bar looks like it has migrated forward and bridged under the frog, for a really nasty jam into the corium and I suspect, why the apex of the frog is humped up over that bar bridge. I'd call the farrier and tell him he forgot the bars. See the white strip in the groove on the near side? That's bar. This could all instantly be relieved. Otherwise it all jams up into the heart of the hoof with every step. Hope this helps....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it is very debatable whether it 'jams up into the heart of the hoof with every step' and that generally bars are pretty poorly understood. They often become larger when other structures aren't up to the job, your lads frog being a case in point. At times my lad has had bars larger than many would like but having experimented with trimming them he needs them :p.

OP has he had any hoof care during the 12 weeks off?? I wouldn't worry about it tbh, it will just shed of it's own accord in it's own time.

amandap

Visit site
I think it is very debatable whether it 'jams up into the heart of the hoof with every step' and that generally bars are pretty poorly understood. They often become larger when other structures aren't up to the job, your lads frog being a case in point. At times my lad has had bars larger than many would like but having experimented with trimming them he needs them :p.
Having witnessed a full Strasser trim I saw the bars cut down to just a white line in an opaque sole. I don't buy that thinking either. Bars can cause problems when folded over but it looks to me as if bar has broken due to ? too long and sole is trying to exfoliate.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Photo6977.jpg

He has been on holiday for 12 weeks, living out. His frogs have got smaller since being on holiday.
Bit worried out a hind foot. He had some very flakey sole which I scraped off when picking out. The next day there was a gap under the end of the bar and the day after he looks like the whole bar is coming off? Plus the heel.....
hes not lame, should I just keep it clean and spray with antibacterial stuff or does it need a farrier to parr it off??just worried if it takes unnecessary horn off as he walks about on it? It goes right down to the bit where the frog and heel meet.....
It it were mine I would check with vet and farrier first

Then walk out on roads - sole paint - good diet

Too me I think the foot needs farrier care as I would not be happy with the groove and the out rim being that long as grit and dirt can get into that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The white line stretch is more likely a diet thing though, nothing the farrier can influence really. I imagine if you call the farrier he will just pare that bit away.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think farrier is best placed to thoroughly examine the feet and advise even if he only tidies it up, most farriers don't trim the bars, but in this case we are talking "abnormal".

amandaco2

Visit site
Hes been trimmed by a different farrier whilst on holiday as their holiday field is out of his area. :(
I am starting road walking 3x week and he is getting seen by his normal farrier first week of april when they go back home.
hes not lame or bothered by his hooves but since time off hes definately lost a lot of frog

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That looks to me like a typical abscess at the heel, many weeks ago, which has blown off the bar. If he's sound, I would cut of the loose bit to stop it tearing anything else off with it when it goes.