Worried sick now.................

Cloud9

Visit site
Following on from laminitis post warning earlier - my horse is on restricted grazing but his paddock looks bare. He is neither gaining or losing weight, in regular work and never had laminitis. Althought the paddock looks ok from a distance when you walk over there are very bare patches, alot of dust patches and is coming in with dirt all over his nose etc I gave him a patch of new grass this evening, only a smallish one but it was quite long. And am now worried I have done the wrong thing....... have I been stuipid - he is a cob. Don;t think I will sleep tonight???

Luci07

Visit site
Can't comment about the laminitis as have had very limited experience, but as to your horse grazing on bare ground - do be careful of him getting sand colic as some horses will end up literally eating dirt. I had a mare who I had to put onto Sand Out as when the grazing started to get poor late summer, she would start to do that.

Cloud9

Visit site
yes have heard of sand colic hence why i thought i would give him some extra - if its not worrying over one problem its another. ARGHH!!!

Django Pony

Visit site
If you're worried can you not pop down and see him to make sure he's ok and put your mind at rest?
There is always something to worry about with horses!! Bless 'em!
Fingers crossed that everything is ok. I'm sure it will be. x

Cloud9

Visit site
Unfortunately its not that close by or I would - plus had a large glass of wine. I was not too worried till I read the post about the warmblood.

Dolcé

Visit site
I wouldn't worry, if the grass is on the longer side then it is better for him and a small patch shouldn't bring on an attack out of nowhere. Sleep well and check his pulses in the morning just to reassure yourself.

Chumsmum

Visit site
I'm amazed I'm not grey the amount of worrying I do - think it's only the ginger gene that's stopped it :D

I'm sure a little extra wont hurt him if it's so bare and his weight is fine.

Mine looked fine last weekend, a friend agreed and I was quite pleased with their weight. Looked at them tonight and they have piled it on, grass must be growing like mad this week, will have to put up yet more electric fencing, field is like a maze!

It's so hard having fatties this time of year :(

Cloud9

Visit site
I'm amazed I'm not grey the amount of worrying I do - think it's only the ginger gene that's stopped it :D

I'm sure a little extra wont hurt him if it's so bare and his weight is fine.

Mine looked fine last weekend, a friend agreed and I was quite pleased with their weight. Looked at them tonight and they have piled it on, grass must be growing like mad this week, will have to put up yet more electric fencing, field is like a maze!

It's so hard having fatties this time of year :(

LOL, I am now unfortunately, reminds self to put colour on hair this weekend!!! I usually bring him in in the day and out at night - however this year he is on the same size paddock as last summer only grazing it 24/7 instead. I did not give him the full paddock width of grass - I did it diagonally so not giving him as much. I treat him as a laminitic though if you know what I mean. But I know how dangerous it is.