Worrying about winter

Nativelover

Visit site
Summer is always easier with horses, longer days seem to produce more time somehow!
However I'm absolutely dreading winter, my horse doesn't do well being kept in too much. He gets silly and spooky to ride, bites when handling, he swells up from lack of movement, gets stiff and is generally grumpy.
Some of you may we'll have read the difficulties I have with livery yards and grazing, and despite desperately trying I simply cannot find somewhere that he can go out on grass every day, even if it's just a morning or afternoon.
The stress and guilt I've suffered the past 4 years has been hard, I'm not sure how much I can go through again!
The current yard is offering the most turnout I've found. 24/7 May/June until beginning of oct then 2 x a week the rest of the year with a couple of periods of no turnout at all (up to 4 weeks)
The troubles I've had each winter is ruining my enjoyment of my horse, I've been screamed at, shouted at, accused of lying, amongst paying for services that didn't get done. This has been on last yard and current one.
I've been offered a stable on a private yard but really not sure about it. The actual stable is great, but there's no services, it's right on a motorway so incredibly noisy and just one fence between hard standing and road.
The lady who has the yard is lovely, but I'd be going from assisted DIY to complete DIY. I'm worried that my long work hours (often 70/80hrs pw) will make it impossible .
Not actually sure what the point of my post is but do any if you have the same difficulties???
Just at a loss with what to do !!

Foolishthought

New User
Visit site
Mine will also be getting no winter turnout at all. I all most think it would be better for you not too turnout the 2x per week and keep stabled as the horses will not be messed up in there routine then!

Just get Xmas out the way and it's only 8 weeks till spring :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If your horse needs turnout and you can't find any anywhere else, I can't see that you have an alternative to the private yard. Would you be able to keep him out 24/7 with the YO just casting an eye over him at one end of the day if you were able to get there once a day?

paddi22

Visit site
i haven't followed the other threads, but could you just get grazing and leave him off 24/7 until the spring. even if it was some distance away? just leave him moving round in a field 24/7 and take the stress off you.

Palindrome

Visit site
If your horse can stay out 24/7 at the private yard I would say go for it. If not, I don't think it is doable with your work hours to muck out, bring in, turn out, etc... Perhaps you could find a field in the area? Have you tried local facebook groups?

PorkChop

Visit site
That does sound pretty disheartening, feel for you. I would be trying to find someone with a field and turn away for the winter - what part of the country are you?

landyandy

Visit site
I feel your pain, i'm just about to move my new mare as turnout is restricted in winter, it's a lovely yard apart from that, I will miss everyone, but the main concern is for the sanity of my mare, i'm moving her to a field where she as access to a stable where she can use it as and when she wants to,

kandm

Visit site
Just to throw a spanner into the works, you couldn't by any chance look for a field to rent for the winter? May mean taking up containers of water and not having a stable but at least he could be out 24/7...

Nativelover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I'm in the northwest, rossendale to be precise.
There's no chance of 24/7 in winter at any yard around me there's barely any yards that offer anything from sept to July!!!!! So in that respect where I am is a luxury!!!
The yard is beautiful but I don't enjoy being there,

Kezzabell2

Visit site

skint1

Visit site
My horses have turnout but I am also worried about winter, they're both arthritic, and they'll be in more, and then there's the time and early mornings, also worried about the sycamores, though hopefully have a plan that will work