Worst Accident

Starbucks

Visit site
I've had a couple of concussions - silly things. My pony rusty slipped down trotting to the meet and then my other pony Jimmy decided he'd take a short cut but didn't realise there was a wire fence in the way!!

My dads had a few bad accidents, normally due to him being an idiot! He once jumped a hedge that had an open gate behind it!!! He came a right cropper and got crushed buy a 17.1!! Then another time another horse trampled him in the horse box after they had finished!!!

What about you??

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Ive been rather lucky, not had any major injuries while riding, never mind hunting...

erm, fell off over ponios head, and got trodden on, but was all good :)

k9h

Visit site
Last legal day was my worst.

Hounds flew, we (staff) ended up swimming river to keep with them then had a 5'10" stone wall to jump. Horse pecked on landing to his knees I went out the front door ruptured my shoulder joint & broke 4 ribs as I fell then as he got up he kicked me in the face with his hoof! Splitting the part above my lip wide open.
I remounted & carried on for another 4 hrs till we packed up there was no way I was going home early. Jumped a little hunt jump later & he swerved into the wire at the side & we sumasaulted with him going over me (film crew got that on tape & aired it on ITV!)

winterhorse

Visit site
not me but my husbands worst one.

it was towards the end of the day, and the horse slipped on take off and fell, landing on my OH and causing the bone handle of his whip to impale his stomach. luckly missed important organs.
was more worried when hospital staff wanted to cut him out of his kit!

k9h

Visit site
Oh I will that! Plus OH at thetime came off 5 times that day & had done 5 ribs so was a lot of moaning going on in bed that night but not for the right reasons :eek:!! It was like stop moving!! :smirk:

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
One of our masters had quite a nasty accident on Tuesday - they were galloping through a gateway and the horse put its foot in a drain, he went flying and got knocked out and didn't know whether he was Arthur or Martha for a while. Needless to say he wasn't out on Thursday!!

I had a funny accident 2 weeks ago - we were jumping a hedge which was a bit whispy and had a telegraph pole in it. The pony tried to brush through it and hit the telegraph pole and as we were jumping from the drop side the ground rose far too quickly on the other side and we both went flying. I have still got a numb leg and the pony had a few cuts and bruises. Sods law hounds were running and I had to run on my feet with my very limpy leg!! Someone brought her back though and we got back on again.

JenHunt

Visit site
have been accidently rolled on (horse fell and decided to turn over before she got up again) but no injury.

have fallen and been stood on, broke a rib or two - nice christmas present eh!

have also been flung from flat out gallop into a concrete fence post head first! on a young horse, got left behind a bit when they all jumped into next field, and he thought that rather than cantering up to the jump then turning left he'd cut the corner and jump the wire. got there, changed his mind, i somersaulted off his left shoulder and slid down said concrete fence post head first cartoon-styleee... got back on, hacked home, feeling bruised but not more... discovered 3 months later that had cracked 2 vertebrae... no problems since tho! touch wood.

Skhosu

Visit site
Seen? Pony stumbled at full gallop, stumbled and the child came off, pony went over him. He stood up then collapsed, turned out he had a slice to the bone in his groin area, very lucky he didn't hit an artery and die, I believe he was in surgery that night til 1am but is recovered now.

k9h

Visit site
oooh... did you go to Gigg?

think OH (Pete) knows you.

Yes thats me!! :grin:

Have also cracked my Sternum out hunting horse dropped me on to a fence post instead of jumping little huntjump. Darn thing was either like a stag or wouldnt leave the ground. Somehow managed to hit arm on way down & Doc reckoned I had lost at least a pint of blood in my arm it was that black! Naturally that night it was our Hunt xmas party! That was 4yrs ago. Gosh time flies!

RunToEarth

Visit site
I cracked a collar bone falling from a PtPer a couple of years back. I thought it was just bruised and suffered with it for two days before admitting defeat.
I have had a couple of painless tumbles on Oshk, the worst was landing on top of a prickly bush as my wonderful coloured added a couple of feet clearance to an already good 4ft hedge, jesus I thought I was dead!
And of course the opening meet 2004, where I had my knee squashed between William the WB and some silly woman who had no control of her horse. My kneecap turned an abnormal amount inwards and almost cripled me. Its never been right since and for that reason I avoid hunt squishes in gateways and small tracks :smirk:

sevenoceans

Visit site
A horse dropped dead in front of me and some of us had to stop to wait for help.... the girl was so upset.. It was last season. Horrible moment... I was enjoying it so much then suddenly my heart went out of my mouth when the horse flipped over. It suffered cardiac arrest as he was already dead when i went up to check his eyes/pulse/breathing. At least he didn't suffer, it was very quick.

k9h

Visit site
Our old huntsman's horse dropped dead out hunting as well. Very sad. :(
IMHO best way for the true hunters to go, if the rider doesn't get hurt.

Yes I am a nutter, I get day release to hunt twice a week!! ;)

I must say that those 2 bad falls are from 8 seasons of full hunting being out every single day so not bad really?

I have had little tubbles of but they are the worst which this thread was about! :p

I do like to do a proper job of it though if I am going to come off! :grin:

Starbucks

Visit site
LOL! why do things by halves ey! :p It is nice for them to go hunting I guess. Still sad though.

I've been really lucky so far on horses, I've done two seasons on Badger now and only come off once, with a million very near misses!

*bets are Starbucks will slap it out hunting tomorrow!*

sevenoceans

Visit site
Having had hunted for fair few years (about 10), i have been so lucky apart from glorious mud i have only fallen once!! good grief! I ride all sorts... some that i never ridden prior to hunting. The time i fell is the horse i never rode before and was very green on the fields. He had no Brakes! I saw that when i realised that he won't stop before turning a corner and it was on mud on concerate ground... OUCH! I got back on with unbroken pride and carried on.... The breeches was bloodied/torn and thrown away at the end of the day. Haven't detered me from hunting at all...

Horses i hunted on was P2P'rs, Youngsters, and Horses that owners aren't brave enough to take their new horse out first time so they leave that job to me! And of course my own ex racer.

tagalog

Visit site
dislocated and broke finger stubbing it on horses neck when some old duffer ran in front of me right in front of jump causing us to do an emergency stop. THe most painful thing ever, until hip flask made it feel better. A and E at local hospital weren't very sympathetic, I'm sure they were anti's I had to wait hours.

Last boxing day took my mare out for her last day before retiring gracefully to being a brood mare, had fab time. Unfotunatley when we got back to box, tied her up, slung her rug over, she cow kicked me and broke my knee cap! I was not standing behind her but all the mothers enjoyed bringing their kids to see me in pain to say... this is why you shouldn't stand behind a horse..

molehill

Visit site
Both my dad and i were kicked out hunting.I have been left with my leg in splint,due to permenant muscle and nerve damage.My dad has pins and plates in his arm.He got kicked off,then dragged.I still ride to hounds,but dad no longer rides