Worst Livery Yard in the Galaxy

joy

Visit site
No security, the ungated drive goes out straight on to the road, a history of tack thefts. No staff at all. Ragwort in the fields, ragwort on the drive and yard, and one year ragwort in the hay! The yard managers response? Just shake it out (well she is a BHSI). A history of horses damaged in field fights and poor fencing. Need I go on except to say that it is owned and "managed" by an equine unit at an agricultural college.

airedale

Visit site
Report the ragwort to DEFRA. There is an on-line form you can use on their website.

As for the rest, I'd contact the BHS. Their remit is to act, as a charity, for the welfare of the horse. Full Stop. Therefore the hay contaiing ragwort should be destroyed.

As this is at an educational establishment then you should also be able to contact whatever the Dept. of Education calls itself these days. The college will be getting gov. grants to run the equine courses (hence the 'war' between on the job working pupil training with real skills v. the 'college courses' with some minimalist 'hands on' experience, all theory an no practice). It is the taxpayer that is funding that college.

Also consider that some of the college horses may be on loan from owners who think that their horses will receive good care at an equine college !!!!!!! (Plenty of ads in nag and dog from colleges for such horses on loan).

Please do something about this. sitting on your hands won't help the horses and this sounds like an absolute disgrace.

As for other livery yards that people below have mentioned as being the same. MOVE. Complain as I've suggested above and hit these people in their pockets.

They are propogating equine cruelty. Imagine a horse grazing these fields and fed this hay and then sold on to a loving owner and home in 2 or 3 years time. It then suffers from liver failure and we have a rightly upset and distraught owner who has lost their 'friend of a lifetime' due to this persons incompetence, laziness and downright cruelty.

Ragwort is cruelty.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Sounds horrible! Poor horses
mad.gif

Could you PM me the name of the college please?

Thanks

joy

Visit site
Great reply Airedale, this situation has gone on for years and the students appear too terrified to act so I will.

joy

Visit site
I forgot to say that this year fields were topped containing ragwort and the liveries told to turn out on land containing dead and dying ragwort!