Worst present ever?

moosea

Visit site
Following on from the thread about the persons brother that got her a hack at local riding school ..... what is the worst present you have ever received and what would you rather of had?

rockysmum

Visit site
My brother was once very pleased with himself as he had bought me a horsey Christmas Present.

A huge horsey tapestry to SEW. He must know that I would never, ever SEW anything, except perhaps a horse rug.

It sat in a cupboard for years until my mum decided to take it home and do. It took her 2 years and then she gave me the dammed thing back framed.

depurple1

Visit site
I got a Joules gilet. Said present giver texted OH to ask what size I was - he replied size 10. So she bought it in a size 14 because she "liked the colour". It looked ridiculous! It was accompanied by some Thelwell socks for age 3-7 as opposed to size 3-7. The were tiny.

I shouldn't have been surprised - the year before our joint Christmas present was a bottle of olive oil. The year before that OH received a book of bible stories and a bottle of salad dressing (he's an athiest).

Jesstickle

Visit site
I am always grateful for anything which I get as it is the thought that counts isn't it?

Besides, I think I am easily pleased as I don't think I've ever had something I consider rubbish :confused:

BillyBob-Sleigh

Visit site
I got a Joules gilet. Said present giver texted OH to ask what size I was - he replied size 10. So she bought it in a size 14 because she "liked the colour". It looked ridiculous! It was accompanied by some Thelwell socks for age 3-7 as opposed to size 3-7. The were tiny.

I shouldn't have been surprised - the year before our joint Christmas present was a bottle of olive oil. The year before that OH received a book of bible stories and a bottle of salad dressing (he's an athiest).

Lol - this is hilarious!

muddygreymare

Visit site
I am always grateful for anything which I get as it is the thought that counts isn't it?

Besides, I think I am easily pleased as I don't think I've ever had something I consider rubbish :confused:

Same here, atleast they've put the time and money into making/buying/spending the time to pick you a gift, they don't have to. I've had a few weird presents, but nothing 'bad' so to speak :)

FionaM12

Visit site

Now we all feel really guilty for our badness.

My ex-husband and I were given the most revolting wedding present. A sort of pottery tramp, fishing, about 18 inches high. Complete with real fishing hook to injure passers-by.

We kept it in a cupboard and when the doorbell rang, rushed to get it out in case the it was the present-giver at the door.

Kat

Visit site
My dad once bought me a gallon of engine oil.......

Can't complain too much as it was very useful, but a bit odd sat under the Christmas tree. Bless him he was quite excited, thought it was a wicked present....... :rolleyes:

trendybraincell

Visit site
Last year my nan bought me a fleece rug for the horse. It wasn't a bad present, in fact I was really chuffed & impressed that she even thought about it as I'm the only horsey person in the family...sadly she didn't realise they came in different sizes and bought 4'3...my horse has 6'3 rugs :eek:

I gave it to one of the kids at the yard who was very pleased with it :)

Kat

Visit site
Depurple1 I'd love to know who bought the olive oil and bible stories, it sounds too much like a friend of mine to be a co incidence!

Sheep

Visit site
Last year my nan bought me a fleece rug for the horse. It wasn't a bad present, in fact I was really chuffed & impressed that she even thought about it as I'm the only horsey person in the family...sadly she didn't realise they came in different sizes and bought 4'3...my horse has 6'3 rugs :eek:

Aww bless your nan, that was so thoughtful of her.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
My auntie bought me a lovely joules jumper from our local tack shop. It was size 18 (I'm a size 8!). She said she tried on the 18 and it fit her well so she gave me that size, even though she is considerably larger than me! Luckily she left the reciept with the present!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont get very many horsey presents as my friends and my mum always say that I've got everything horsey and they dislike buying stuff for the horses as they feel its not for me. I love horsey stuff though and am more than happy if its something for the horse and not me specifically! Have tried telling them that but they dont really listen unless I tell them I really want something very specific (like this year I've asked for a new riding jacket). Ive never had a present I hated, must be very lucky!

JFTDWS

Visit site

That's sweet - and quite understandable for a non-horsey person!

he year before that OH received a book of bible stories and a bottle of salad dressing (he's an athiest).

As an atheist, does he have some kind of aversion to salad dressing too? :D

Daytona

Visit site
A bright yellow Fido Dido tracksuit my dad brought me back from America. I looked like a giant banana..!!! As you can imagine it never got worn lol

nixxyz

Visit site
i cant think of one ive had personally, but my OH's sister got a foot cream gift set which had finger prints and marks in the tub of cream so it had clearly been used!! need i say it was promptly thrown out :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
We kept it in a cupboard and when the doorbell rang, rushed to get it out in case the it was the present-giver at the door.

Bless you, that's so sweet. Did it have an 'accident' at any point or do you still have it? :D

That's so sweet of your nan and great that you could pass it on to someone who could use it.

I'm lucky as my mother is horsey so understands that when I ask for something for the horses it is for me and that is what I want. Can also leave her in charge of rugs etc as she does at least understand sizing. She's bought me a new Racesafe this year, love her heart. I had to tell her what size so I know what I'm getting

OH also knows I only ever want stuff for the horses. Given that I gave him a list and I know what wasn't on it (have just got back from the tack shop and bought myself a new girth and gloves as they weren't bought for me apparently) I expect I have a new hat and a new pair of chaps from him.

His parents are the only people who don't like to buy me horse stuff. Usually try and think of non horsey stuff for them as they're like MagicMelon's folks and don't think it is stuff for me, even though OH says all the time that it is the stuff which makes me most happy. They are absolutely fantastically ace though so will let them off ;)

My dad doesn't buy presents. So I suppose that's my worst present ever. But in fairness he gave me the money to buy BH this summer so I think that's ok. He just has his own way of doing things :)

squirtlysmum

Visit site
Mmm, I'm not ashamed to say my sister bought me the worst Xmas present I the shape of a bread bin! Wtf, I don't eat bread!!! Even my parents were confused as to what possessed her!
Mind you on the line of worst presents my Mum and Dad were given two tea towels as a wedding present along with a tray, none of which matched!

CarolineJ

Visit site
When I was 11 my parents got me a duvet-style Puffa jacket for Christmas - this was 1986 and they were still quite new and expensive. I opened it and cried my eyes out because I'd bashed my hat in a fall a few weeks earlier and had been told no more riding lessons until they'd saved up for a new one and I'd been desperately hoping for a new hat. Spoilt brat that I was, Dad took me for a new hat once the tack shop re-opened in the new year :eek:

And to Puffa's credit, the jacket is still in use 25 years later, though it got relagated from 'mucking out jacket' to 'Butinoxing the sheds' jacket this summer!

FionaM12

Visit site
Bless you, that's so sweet. Did it have an 'accident' at any point or do you still have it? :D

I kept it for years, even after the marriage ended, just in case she turned up to visit. But then one day I was moving into a new flat, taking things up in the lift. An old lady who also lived in the flats shared the lift and admired the fisherman model. To my amazement she said it was utterly beautiful and she loved things like that.

I left it in the lift with the bemused but delighted old lady to take back to her own flat with her. :D

Miss L Toe

Visit site
One year I was absolutely broke, and almost anything useful from socks to shampoo would have been great, but my sis in law and her son bought me matching presents, horse related [again], a china model of an old boot, and a china model of a smaller old boot, I just burst in to tears, fortunately they were not there at the unwrapping ceremony!
Then there was the "year of the book club" [large print pulp-type fiction], and before that the "Year of the Avon lady" [strawberry bath foam]

scrunchie

Visit site
My mother always gets me rubbish presents.

I am in no way a girly girl but every year she insists on buying me all manner of lotions, potions and make up.

I think the worst was a manicure set. I haven't got any nails to manicure!

Mythical

Visit site
Cuddly toys are my nightmare gift!
I suppose it's based on the assumption that I'm an *animal* person, therefor I MUST love cuddly animals, so I get at least one every year. Then once you get them, you can't get rid of them - I have a cupboard full of them, becuase there's something so wrong about putting a stuffed animal in the bin!!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Cuddly toys are my nightmare gift!
I suppose it's based on the assumption that I'm an *animal* person, therefor I MUST love cuddly animals, so I get at least one every year. Then once you get them, you can't get rid of them - I have a cupboard full of them, becuase there's something so wrong about putting a stuffed animal in the bin!!
Take them to a charity shop, they will be loved by someone, or the Sally Army.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I shouldn't be ungrateful but last year OH bought me a lovely bra which is a bit of a squeeze to fit into (cup and around wise) and I have to use a extender to wear it . lol lol
Been married 20 years and in that time Iv'e known him to not buy me anything for christmas before now.

maree t

Visit site
Some friends of my best friend decided that as their 10 year old daughter had been having riding lessons for a year they would buy her a saddle for xmas. The girl opened the present and thought that they had bought her a pony to go with it. She was very upset, as were they and bought her a pony in the new year to be kept at said riding school , as you can guess they werent in the least bit horsey:D
After my OH has bought me knickers too big then socks too big we have agreed that I buy my own now.

juliette

Visit site
My mother-in-law is notorious for giving us terrible presents, we now put a cardboard box ready to put the gifts in that we don't want so they can go straight to the charity shop. I have had labels like "sorry this is a bit naff Ju" on the present - so why the hell did she buy it?

Last year I had a book with an eggnogg recipe in it (this caused hilarity with the kids), a china mug I wouldn't have bought for anyone under the age of 90, hand knitted socks (!!!) and a hand knitted scarf. The latter 2 very kind, BUT the socks were useless, they grow as you wear them and fall down constantly, the scarf joins the huge collection we have already as she gets all these weird wool and knits scarves, the majority of which none of us will wear. Simply dreadful!!

Had some china duck heads from her one year, no bodies, just a heads, which I did put next to the pond......... everyone comments on the mushrooms by the pond!!! Quality!!!

savia

Visit site
My mother always gets me rubbish presents.

I am in no way a girly girl but every year she insists on buying me all manner of lotions, potions and make up.

I think the worst was a manicure set. I haven't got any nails to manicure!

God, this sounds just like my dad and stepmum:p I still have unused makeup and perfume that they got me over 10 years ago:D