Wot is copd?

flissiebell

New User
Visit site
Hiya All

i was lookin at the horses 4 sale in horse mart n 1 ad said their horse had Copd, can ne 1 plz tell me wot that is? as ive been away from horses to long so im a lil outta touch
ty
flissie

samp

Visit site
It is like equine asthma, means they proper have dust and pollen allergy. Normally controlled with dust free feed and bedding. Some are very serious though

sorona

Visit site
Thats right, COPD is also known as heaves or broken wind as well as many other things. I believe that the vets now use another name for it which, i cant bring to mind at the moment, so i guess COPD will be obsolete too before long!!

pixie

Visit site
Its now called Recurrent Airway Obstruction (RAO). I used to ride a horse with this condition, which was mostly controlled by him living outside all year round 24/7. I mainly used to lightly school him, but he was fine galloping and jumping when we went hacking I'm not sure that I'd buy a horse like this if I wanted to compete as it woul always be at a disadvantage to other horses. I guess whether or not you buy one depends on how severe a case it is, what you plan on doing with it, and if you have the facilities to manage the condition.