Wot size horse 4 me?

flissiebell

New User
Visit site
Hi All

Ive been thinkin about gettin bk into horses, i was wondering wot size n type would i ride?
Im 5.2" a lil ova weight im about 13stone atm( but workin on losin that) would i need 2 ride a large horse or could i get on a smaller mw type cob mayb plz help?
A friend has a 13.3 blue n white cobbie pony, she asked i wanted to get on n ride but i wasnt sure if i would b too heavy can ne1 help me out
ty
Flissie

dixie

Visit site
I would say a cob type betwen 15.2 and 16hh.

I would have thought 13.3hh was asking a bit too much really.

the watcher

Visit site
The pony might be ok if it has plenty of bone and you are only riding for a short itme, you will cause less discomfort to the horse if you are a reasonably competent and balanced rider, so consider this when looking for one. If you are not confident you can be balanced then go for something bigger. A 15hh cob should do the job

Echo..text speak is very hard to read for us oldies

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
echo MD.....a good solid cob of 13.3 will be none the worse for carrying you for a couple of hours at least....

also agree about 14.2 NF...much underated native pony...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, as long as the rider is relatively competent (speaking as a 14hh highland rider)

sorona

Visit site
Your freidns cob would be more than capable of carrying you as long as it is a nice sturdy type. You wouldnt necessarily need to have a 15hh cob at your height and weight, well nothing too cobby anyway as too much of your leg may be taken up causing your seat to be less secure. A sturdy native pony would be ideal. I am about the same height as you but am a bit lighter and I ride a 15.2hh welsh sec D but he is not a chunky boy at all and looks more like a TBXwelsh but I also ride my daugthers 14.2hh NF pony who again, is no chunk and he is more than capable. i also have some youngsers to bring on next year and one of them will make about 13.2hh, he is a forester but is a good sturdy boy with big shoulders and strong back and i will be riding him out too, although I wont be competing on him, i will jsut be hacking him out to get him used to things and I dont think i will be too big for him either.