Woukd you tow in this?

Kokopelli

Visit site
I'm meant to be competing tonight, I'm hugely excited and will be mega dissapointed if we have to cancel and out of pocket but at the same time I don't want to risk safety of us or the pony.

It's meant to be up to 21mph wind but eases off throughout the evening and my time is 8:24 and by then it's forecasted to be 16mph. However a different weather forecast is predicting stronger.

We drive a LWB shogun and have a cheval liberté trailer both in good condition. We don't have to go on dual carriageways or motorways.

Follysmum

Visit site
I cancelled at the weekend purely through the same. I and decided there will be other days out in better conditions. Really not worth the risk in high winds IMO.

Baileybones

Visit site
I'm really sorry but personally I wouldn't.
I'm in Wiltshire and winds are already pretty strong here and forecast to get worse.
On Saturday I drove to Evesham and was shocked to feel my 4x4 being pulled around on B roads and the winds at the weekend weren't as bad as they're currently forecasting for today. I have to say that I was stunned to see someone pull out in front of my on Saturday towing a trailer.
I know it is sods law that as soon as you withdraw you can guarantee that the winds will drop but there are enough hazards to endure without taking risks. As disappointing as it'll be at least there will be more chances to compete in the future.

Roll on Spring......

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Can you wait to decide nearer the time, when you can actually see what the weather is like? Our weather forecasts have been so so wrong lately!

Cragrat

Visit site
I have on old ifor 510 which weighs 1000kg, and a WB who weighs 560kg - so a fairly weighty combination - heavier than a cheval liberte by far. I tow with an LWB which is normal fantastic.

A few weeks ago the wind picked up whilst we were out, and coming home I was terrified for about 5 exposed miles, because I could feel the wind pushing the trailer around. We crawled along at 30mph max, and luckily dropped lower and out of the worst of the wind.

When I got home I checked the windspeed history on xcweather, just out of interest. It was 35mph.

I would never pursposefully risk driving in high wind, especially if gusty.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
How far are you going? If it's not too far and you can stick to a slow speed i would go... However you also have to think about the winds whilst your riding, will your horse be ok to compete if it's really windy and the school rattles a lot?

As others have said, wait and see nearer the time...

Bexcy-bee x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Having had an accident in a trailer coming ack from Wales where the trailer flipped and turned over. I would say wait till the last minute and decide better a show missed than a bad accident. My box moves about in winds and that is wooden, it only takes one bad gust to case loss of control, there are more shows on less windy days.

You don't want to think after if only I had not ventured out. Like I thought If only I had watch the speed and the decline it would not have happened. Though mine happened on the way back from picking my mare up after I brought her.

If its real important can you not hire a horsebox better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

undergroundoli

Visit site
Don't forget that everyone is in different places. I've got no idea what 16mph means for winds and as it is unusually still here I'd probably underestimate the risks, where as I'd have probably have looked out the window and over estimated if I still lived in Wales.

I think only you can decide and its worth waiting if you can.

Pie's mum

Visit site
I cancelled Sunday as I didn't fancy taking my little lorry out in the awful weather. Don't know where you are in the country but down here in the SW it is utterly horrendous strong winds - I'd only take the box out in this if it was a life or death situation!!

Sheep

Visit site
Koko, knowing the reasons behind your excitement, I am really very sorry to say I probably wouldn't risk it either. I know it is likely to be a huge disappointment to you, but given what others have said, I think you are probably best to not go, if weather conditions continue to be as they have been. If it improves, by all means go! I really hope it does improve so you can go. x

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I too would cancel, I ended up missing a county show last year, as we had thick fog, we even took the car to check the motorway. The day was glorious later on and I was disppointed, BUT I am planning to go this year, not something I could have done if we had been hit in the fog.The horse can't asses the risk,so we must.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Koko, knowing the reasons behind your excitement, I am really very sorry to say I probably wouldn't risk it either. I know it is likely to be a huge disappointment to you, but given what others have said, I think you are probably best to not go, if weather conditions continue to be as they have been. If it improves, by all means go! I really hope it does improve so you can go. x

Have fingers crossed, just so fed up with dissapointments and everything going wrong I finally have something to look forward to and once again it's gone wrong. Sounds dramatic I know I'm just fed up.

Sheep

Visit site
Have fingers crossed, just so fed up with dissapointments and everything going wrong I finally have something to look forward to and once again it's gone wrong. Sounds dramatic I know I'm just fed up.

No it doesn't sound dramatic, don't beat yourself up over it. It is disappointing at the best of times for anyone to miss out on something they've been looking forward to, so I can only imagine that in your situation the disappointment is that little bit more bitter. Fingers and toes tightly crossed for you that you are able to go, and if not, that the opportunity for you to go out again very very soon arises.

ladyt25

Visit site
I wouldn't go in a trailer no. Yes it's disappointing but what's worse, some disappointment and another 10 mths of competition ahead or a nasty accident?

meesha

Visit site
Not sure where you are exactly but on metoffice.gov.uk in Gloucester wind gusts are forecast up to 50mph this afternoon/tonight - I am sat in Somerset and it sounds like the wind is trying to blow the roof off. Would be a definite no from me not even in a lorry let alone trailer.

babymare

Visit site
red weather warning come out at work 10 mins ago. merseyside lancs blacpool cumbria 80mph winds gusts to 100. some living a distance are going home. Im working from home happily :)

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I've called off taking lorry out tonight due to high winds. And driving rain. They have closed the high bridge over the river near me due to fear of high sided lorries turning over. Not worth risk, and I know I've disappointed two teenage riders bit they will get to do it another day.