Would anyone want this horse?

pootler

Visit site
I have a well bred 16 year old warmblood, he has a loss of use stamp due to a sacroiliac disorder that was diagnosed 9 years ago. He was retired to a field but I had to move him for personal reasons so we thought we would try and bring him back in to work.

He was back in full work for 3 years and was totally sound, his work load included eventing to PN level, hunting and show jumping. He is barefoot and has been for the last 10 years.
He evented at BE90 6 times with 5/6 clears SJ and early 40’s dressage. Unfortunately he isn’t so keen on the XC.

He has jumped up to 1 m 05 BSJA with his previous owner and has won 143 actual 123 notional. He loves SJ and will place at 1m every time out with the right rider. He came 3rd at the Trailblazer Championships at 90 cms with his previous rider.

BUT he can be sharp and needs a confident rider. He is currently out of work as I do not have a rider for him, his loaner returned him when she went to University and I was in the process of relocating overseas when he came back. I think he can be a lot of fun for the right person and actually has quite low mileage.

I keep hearing how hard it is to find homes for horses, I’m in a real quandary as I want to give the boy a fair chance at finding a nice home.

Do I send him off to be schooled for a couple of months and then try and find him a home. Although then we'll be heading into winter.

Would love him to go to a good quality riding school, saw Summerhouse were looking, but he's too old for them.

Any suggestions?

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Well there's a post especially designed to give me a heart attack!! :eek:

Yes, I think there is a home out there for him. He did so well at his last loan home, it seems a shame to leave him mooching around in the field. Given your position, I think sending him to someone to put some work into him before advertising would be an excellent move.

Is there anyone over here that could put the word out at local RCs/PCs?

(Will email you in the next couple of days, now that I actually have some comps to update you on! ;) )

spacefaer

Visit site
If you are thinking along the Summerhouse/riding school lines, why not give Talland a ring? They give a great home to horses that can help educate their students. I trained there, and also sent them a retired Adv event horse so have seen it from both sides.

apart from that, I'm sure someone would love him! sounds like a useful, fun sort of horse :)

pootler

Visit site
Hah, didn't think about that when I posted!

I don't have a very big network for RC/PC but would appreciate pointers!

Looking forward to the update, we are out eventing at the weekend too.

pootler

Visit site
Spacefaer, Talland is a good one, not sure how interested they would be in him as I associate them with dressage greatness! I will give them a call.

icestationzebra

Visit site
I think he would have a lot to offer the right place. Have you spoke to any of the Colleges? Some are better than others and perhaps some people on here could advise you of the right ones to approach?

He is so low mileage he could go on for years! :)

Andiamo

Visit site
I also know of a horse that Talland took on, it didn't have loss of use, but he had some obvious physical ailments that no vet would pass him on. He was a very good dressage horse, beautiful, nice nature. It is worth a try.

amanda123

Visit site
Plumpton College? or Hadlow College, I had a horse at Hadlow College years ago when my daughter was a baby, she was very well looked after. A friend of mine sent a horse to Plumpton recently, she would have been fussy where she went. Standard of riding and experience of students at the colleges varies from none to lots. Constantly supervised though. Like everything you would need to see if it suits you and your horse. But I think both are advertising for horses at the moment. (I have nothing to do with either of these colleges, but have done gridwork clinics at Plumpton with a BHSI who teaches there)

pootler

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies, I will roll my sleeves up and start contacting some of the colleges. He loves routine and actually is quite happy being in as long as he has food. I think it could suit him.

I will give an update if he has enough UCAS points and gets in!