would i be seen as a cruel mummy to reclip today :P?

Austen123

Visit site
Q in title really. would i be seen as a meanie to reclip my girl today in this cold weather. or should i jut bite the bullet. she isnt that bad she has just got those ugly mouse hairs coming through

rockysmum

Visit site
No it wouldn't be cruel, as long as you add an extra rug.

We are up North and I have often clipped at the end of Jan / Early Feb without it having any problems.

I wouldn't this year though. My horses are already starting to moult, to do it now would ruin their summer coats.

dollymix

Visit site
If you are - I am too! I re-clipped Luna on Sunday as she was resembling a hairy bear with a grown out crew cut!!! lol

I just added a fleece under her other rug and she feels snug enough!

Visit site
If its just the long cat hairs i would get a trimmer with the longest comb and zip them off and it wont effect the summer coat. If it her coat is getting long and she is getting hot when she works then i would clip her and add another rug.

It also depends on what clip she has? If its full clip go for it? If its a blanket or trace think about what you will be doing in the spring as there is a chance that she could have some lines left.

Austen123

Visit site
ok im going to do it. its a full clip (not including legs but may leave her half face a it may get a bit cold) hopefully will save alot of moulting haha x

bensababy

Visit site
I fully clipped my boy in the snow last year when it was even colder. Got called cruel, heartless etc. Try explaining to non native/cushings owners how hot and sweaty my old boy gets when standing in.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Bensababy - my little Fuzzy is also cushings, elderly & trace clipped (re-done 10 days ago). Still out at day & in small paddock with field shelter at night with no rugs but still warm.
I was worried this morning before I got to yard, but she was still toasty.

To the OP - we clipped big Fuzzy last Friday, altho moulting on back, the high chaser parts that had been previously clipped were v thick indeed & it was the right decision to clip again.
Happily sporting a 300gm rug 24/7 & toasty :)

bensababy

Visit site
Bensababy - my little Fuzzy is also cushings, elderly & trace clipped (re-done 10 days ago). Still out at day & in small paddock with field shelter at night with no rugs but still warm.
I was worried this morning before I got to yard, but she was still toasty.
QUOTE]

Mine was still too hot fully clipped (legs and head left on) and has been stabled with just a fleece at night and rain sheet during day to take chill off..this pony is never cold!