Would it be fine to breed from a 17 year old mare?

Visit site
My mare is 17 years old and I was just wondering wether it would be fine to breed from her. She is a strong mare but hasn't had any foals. Just wanting to know whether I should breed from her.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Depends its a bit old cut off of age for maiden mares is early teens normally and just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Is she sound?

What's her conformation like is she good enough to breed from?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Physically fine, but may be harder to get her in foal so optimize your chances with an excellent repro vet

And, going by what a friend used to do, fresh semen not chilled and especially not frozen, preferable from a young stallion??

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Depends its a bit old cut off of age for maiden mares is early teens normally and just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Is she sound?

What's her conformation like is she good enough to breed from?

If she isn't able to be ridden any more, what's the reason? An accidental injury wouldn't stop me, very hard work when younger and unsound now might be fair enough, but not standing up to work at a youngish age would be a risk I wouldn't take.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Breed comes into it to. A 17 year old pony mare could still be almost in her prime of life, a big 17 year old warmblood could be well into veteran stages in terms of condition.

A fit healthy mare still in work, I’d have no issues with trying though.

tda

Visit site
Breed comes into it to. A 17 year old pony mare could still be almost in her prime of life, a big 17 year old warmblood could be well into veteran stages in terms of condition.

A fit healthy mare still in work, I’d have no issues with trying though.
Agree, friends was a pony mare

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
After I left the RS I worked at my old boss put a late teens mare in foal, she had a cracking filly and went on to have two more. All were live cover not AI. If yours is fit and well at 17 I would be tempted to go for it.