Would it be too far

Loveponies

Visit site
I have opportunity to use an ungrazed field with some decent grass as my current field due to the drought is bald. I would need to walk my horses to the new field but it is 4.5 miles from existing field and I am not sure if it is too far for my 32 year old to walk. He is sound but has not been out of his current field for over a year since I retired him from ridden work.. The route is fairly level lanes and woodland tracks .

silv

Visit site
You know best if he is fit and healthy, if no major hills he should be fine, he may enjoy the outing! Is he in a big field at the moment? if so he does a a few miles a day mooching around. Maybe take him for a shorter walk first to see how he goes, just trust your judgement.

Cragrat

Visit site
Are you intending to ride or to lead him?

Led should be totally fine, if you are prepared to just tootle along at his pace, and use verges etc as he wants. This dry weather should mean his hooves are fairly hard - hopefully they aren't brittle. I wouldn't have them trimmed too close to the departure, other than a rounding off to remove any flaps which might tear.

The other concern is colic from sudden access to lots of grass - can you electric fence it to control intake?

Leandy

Visit site
You say he is sound so I can't really see a problem. An unfit person shouldn't have a significant problem with a level walk of an hour or two so I don't see why a horse would, even if it is 32, so long as he is capable of ambling round his field now.