Would it classed as cruelty for this horse to carry this rider?

gentle_giant

Visit site
Horse is 16.1hh TB mare, very high withered, v poor conformation.

Extremely long weak back and very very dodgy pelvis, not good legs either. Hardly any bone.

Horse is 16yrs old.

rider is very large, at least 17-18stones, and rides Heavy.

Have pics of mares conformation (it is terrible) but dont want to put them on forum, so if anyone wants to see please PM me.

Now Im being serious, would this be classed as cruelty, ie as areportable thing, espec as the horse seems to do an awful lot of work, ridden hard?

kerilli

Visit site
Yes, i would say that that is cruelty. a 17-18 stone rider, plus a stone at least for saddle, plus the rider riding heavy, should be on a real weight-carrying HW cob, if s/he is riding at all!
an elderly tb mare like that with such poor conformation... i would say no more than 8-9 stone. and that would count me out, as i'm 10 stone plus, but i ride light... and i wouldn't ride her!

Starbucks

Visit site
I HATE seeing huge people totally inappropriate horses!
mad.gif

Poor thing! Can I have a look at the pics?
confused.gif

_OC_

Visit site
Has any one talked to the rider,and explained in a tactful way they may be a little on the heavy side........I owned 15.3 TB mare and was always aware of keeping my weight in check, and always very conscious of the fact,the other girls on the yard told me I was mad to worry! I think given the horse is not the best put together,on what your saying,then I would be inclined to say something and it's not like it's the odd gental hack from time to time...is it?

JadeWisc

Visit site
I think you should just post the pics or you will be PMing people all day
wink.gif

Just block off the faces of any people and maybe even the horse! lol

that being said, I would love to see the pics so if you are not going to post them could you please PM me?
smile.gif

also....how many Lbs is 18 stone? I am so bad at the conversion

WelshRareBit

Visit site
Having seen the pics, I feel quite sorry for this mare. Even if she had a good feed and had good condition, I wouldnt like to see her carrying quite so much weight.
This woman needs to see my horse - he could carry that kind of weight, this mare shouldnt be, it must be agony for her I would have thought. Im no expert but I would feel cruel let alone silly on such a small, skinny horse if I was that heavy!!!

horsegirl

Visit site
I would like to see these pics as I have a 16.1 TB and I am aware that I may be a bit on the heavy side although nowhere near 17 stone I might add plus my boy has a nice short back and is 12. By the way do people think 16 is elderly for a horse?