would it make you cross....

jalapeno

Wherever the wind takes me.. usually somewhere on
Visit site
if one of your horses was on a yard, you had never met the farrier so had specifically requested your horse not be done until you can arrange your own time when you are around and yet the horse is done along with the others regardless. Then to top it off you are not happy with the job and yet are still charged...

benson21

Visit site
I guess I would be, did his feet need doing? How long have you been at the yard? I guess you are new there?

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
Cross? It would make me furious, and I certainly wouldn't be paying for a service I had specifically asked not to have! To be honest, though, I wouldn't go to a yard where I couldn't use my own farrier (if I'm really honest, the Intrepid Horse would probably take matters into her own hooves and kick seven bells out of a stranger who tried to meddle with her feet without being formally introduced)...

hcm88

Visit site
Yes definitely. If you requested then you hadn't arranged for your horse to be done and so he shouldn't have been done. Very much doubt you'll get your money back I'm afraid but I would definitely take it up with the YO. Is there anything in your livery contract that says you aren't allowed other farriers? I know one yard where everyone has to use the same farrier as they get deals as its through family friends or something. Luckily in this case it's a v good farrier but otherwise I wouldn't stand for it. It's your horse and thus your say as to who your farrier is.

jalapeno

Visit site
His feet are due nowish but I keep it to 8 weeks so they were not in desperate need. it's impossible for me to move... :( They are acting like I am blowing it out of proportion! When they rang to tell me they said 'oh I'm sorry he was done too, I know you said not to but the farrier did not know', Then I get to the yard and the edges on his hooves are very sharp and have splintered in a couple of places.

eta - I am allowed my farrier on site. I have no proper contract, I may suggest us writing one up, would anyone be able to show me a template of one? Or point me in the direction of one?

eta again - I have been there around 7 weeks

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Yes. If YO/YM and staff were aware I would be fuming and I would also expect the YARD to pay the farrier as it is not a service you had asked for - the farrier shouldn't lose out though, the yard should.

BonneMaman

Visit site
Is your horse of full livery? Very very strange - I cannot understand why someone would just get the farrier to attend to random animals? So the YO just says "oh that one over there needs seeing to" and the farrier does it without instruction from owner?

jalapeno

Visit site
Is your horse of full livery? Very very strange - I cannot understand why someone would just get the farrier to attend to random animals? So the YO just says "oh that one over there needs seeing to" and the farrier does it without instruction from owner?

The yard comprises of the landowners son's horses and two other liveries (three inc me). The other horses all have this farrier, I have another as my horse has had trust issues etc... and there are other reasons (not that I have to justify my choice of farrier, I am allowed another one to visit) The farrier came and just did every horse on the yard - the excuse I was given was 'horses come and go, how was he to know'

eta - DIY livery.

Last edited:

Tickles

Visit site
If yard arrange farrier to come they should also tell him which horses to shoe.

No, you don't (have to, although you might to create good relationship with YO) pay if you told yard in advance that you didn't want this done and had other suitable arrangements in place to keep your horse's feet in good condition.

On the plus side if farrier is properly qualified (they have to be!) it probably won't do long term damage just this once.

And if you are seen to have 'made a fuss' they are more likely to remember next time ;-|

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't go OTT, just be very clear that you have a different farrier. There's no way I'd want someone I didn't know shoeing my horse.

There are two at my yard and no way would one shoe the other farrier's horses. :confused:

Ladydragon

Visit site
This is my thought! I may just dampen my anger and ensure it never happens again. Apart from this I am very happy at this yard.

Yes, I'd be hopping mad - but if you are happy at the yard and really cannot move elsewhere, I don't think you have much option but to make a fuss then let it go... Particularly if there is a possibility that as the 'new one' you may be seen as a problem and risk being booted off...

I think firm diplomacy rather than guns blazing might be the better option... And I'm a bit of a guns blazing kinda gal myself normally...:)