Would people use swimming horses?

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
I have a successful rehab yard and we are looking to expand and wondered if a swimming "pool" would be the next move.

So just wondering how many people would consider swimming as either a preventative measure/alternative exercise form or following injury.

Should the "pool" be straight or circular?

Any other comments would be great.

tinker512

Visit site
Definalty!

The only thing simialr I have had experience with is Hydrotherapy, where they are stood in the saline water...and the results are amazing..prevention and cure, so a swimming pool would be a fantatsic investment I *think* don't know much about them, but have heard fantastic reports and results..

Think they are usually circular

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It's a great idea but just be warned that around here we had one and it had to close due to such high rates being slapped on it by the council, was totally unviable so was filled in!
frown.gif

tinker512

Visit site
Whoops sorry, just noticed your siggy and noticed you have the Panama Spa, who I've been using the Spa with so you obviously know all about it!!!

JessPickle

Visit site
My uncles racehorses used to be kept at a yard with a pool it was very expensive though as pool took 3 days with hose on 24 hours to fill!

S_N

Visit site
Hi, Contact these guys www.kesmarc.com They are in Kentucky, but old friends of mine and it has been incredibley successfull! Hub and Kirsten are lovely people and I'm sure would be willing to help with any questions you may have.

IMO a circular pool would be more beneficial - as the horse can swim for longer.....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Circular pools are better. Swimmings good, but quite strenuous, you cant put an unfit horse straight in the pool. For rehab they need a couple of weeks on the walker/ridden light work first - I guess you have the facilities for this.

jomiln

www.westendfarmstud.co.uk
vivijp - yes we have the usual facilities including cold water spa, walker, arena and tracks for hacking but just wondering if a pool could be an addition that would be useful - also for preventative care & fitness.

Beanyowner

Visit site
Problem is with swimming is that it seems to hyper flex the back and they don't actually work in the pool the same way they work over land so may buid up the wrong muscle groups...would have to be used on specific cases only when a definete muscle area is being targetted.
If you look at piccies of horses swimming you can see that the front end and the back end kind go off and do their own thing...with the hind end completly trailing off into the distance...not natural, and definetly not what we want them to do over land!!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
We used to swim the racehorses every day esp after hard work in Australia - this was done in a circular pool with the direction opposite the way that they work. Seemed good for keeping them fit without concussion - and while some swam in the most peculiar way it did seem to benefit the ones that couldn't be worked to hard on the track for fear of breaking down.