Would the seller put you off buying a horse?

Equi

Visit site
Just reading my FB timeline and a seller has been posting pics and updates every day of a horse shes just sold. She is a very good responsible breeder who i believe is really into the welfare of her animals and is what you would think the perfect seller - but it sometimes annoys me too.

If i was buying a horse off someone i would not want them taking my pics all the time and posting on their timeline every single little thing i do as "look what the little horse i sold is doing"

There are about three people who do this, and it limits my want to buy off them in the future even though they do have some good quality horses :/

BeingKate

Visit site
I imagine the photos she posts of her previous ones she's sold are there because the new owner wants to show them off. I'm sure if you brought a horse from her and that was that, she wouldn't be too worried! Or just remove them from your friends list on facebook if you are really worried!

pip6

Visit site
If you want one of their horses list it as a condition of sale that nothing is posted about you or horse post sale date. If she is a breeder then she is effectively trying to use it as free advertising for her stud to encourage people to view stock. I wouldn't want what I'm doing with a horse plastered over facebook by someone else, but then I'm not into social media. Very sure what I'm up to of no interest to anyone else.

horsebenny

Visit site
I loved having regular contact with my mare's previous owner/breeder and she was very proud of Sally too and loved to hear what she was up to. When Sally died of grass sickness last month she was as upset as me and posted a pic of her and a lovely message on her FB. Just because they've sold them doesn't mean they don't still love them and are proud of them...

JJS

Visit site
I loved having regular contact with my mare's previous owner/breeder and she was very proud of Sally too and loved to hear what she was up to. When Sally died of grass sickness last month she was as upset as me and posted a pic of her and a lovely message on her FB. Just because they've sold them doesn't mean they don't still love them and are proud of them...

I'm the same. I keep in touch with both previous owners of my horses (including my deceased TB mare) and both have always shared their achievements. I've always just been happy that they seem to approve of what I'm doing with them and how I care for them. They love them and they're proud of them - I would never be annoyed by that.

Equi

Visit site
That kind of thing is ok - my mares old owner shared my post when she won a show and I felt proud but this one is literally "look polly is in her stable. She went for a walk today. She had a bath" silly updates that are not needed for business purposes and are just a little as someone said here invasive.

She is very up to date on shows so I don't want to delete her in case I miss anything Important that way.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'm a breeder and that is a defacto part of my sales contract that I get pictures of my mares' youngstock as they are growing up. That's a very normal condition of sale over here in North America as breeders use the photos of offspring for each mare's portfolio.

Equi

Visit site
Yeah but do you post mundane irrelevant updates? Following show progress or conformation is one thing but take and uploading loads of pics of it just at home is a little too far to me.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Yeah but do you post mundane irrelevant updates? Following show progress or conformation is one thing but take and uploading loads of pics of it just at home is a little too far to me.

No. Only conformation or show photos. But, I am FB tagged in many owners posts complete with piccies and I don't mind.

greasedweasel

www.chamfronstud.com
Ooo interesting question OP - we run a stud and have a blog / FB page and I do love to post updates from current owners of our stock, they may be shiny show photos or silly ones of them at home. I always ask if its OK to use photos and wouldn't "share" one on FB without asking first. We have owners who I message several times a week on FB and consider them friends and other people I email once or twice a year but I would be quite sad if a new owner didn't want to keep us up to date at all on one of our youngsters.

stormox

Visit site
I sold a 6 year old id bred last year and the new owners posted a pic on FB of her jumping, I shared this to my page so all my friends who had known the horse could see how she was getting on. Do you think this was wrong??

bakewell

Visit site
If there are photos that you don't want in public view, adjust your privacy settings accordingly. Set friends groups etc.
Perhaps they are much more open or social than you are happy being. If you're not happy with that level of openness, you must adjust your privacy settings to take this into account. (and I don't like pictures that show myself or my life online tbh so I understand)

stormox

Visit site
but if they (new owner) have put the picture on public view, and the previous owner (me) shares it, do you consider that wrong? I never even considered they mightn't like me sharing.

Spring Feather

Visit site
but if they (new owner) have put the picture on public view, and the previous owner (me) shares it, do you consider that wrong? I never even considered they mightn't like me sharing.

I've never needed to ask to share photos as my buyers always tag me so the pictures pop up on my page anyway. Some of my buyers have shared my photos too of their horses as little teeny foals, so it works both ways. I'm more than happy for anyone to share my FB piccies, if I wasn't then I wouldn't put those piccies up in the first place :)

bakewell

Visit site
No, it's in the public domain. Technically there's not even the possible copyright issue as you essentially sign this over to facebook to disseminate your uploads.

Equi

Visit site
She uploads them which means she is saving them to her own comp she's not sharing them if that makes sense so personal privacy won't matter she has the photo. I just think it's a bit intimidating tbh. I always post silly "OMG I hate my horse" posts or say they've half a leg missing cause they walked over a stone but would hate for any owner before me to start taking that and posting about it on their own profile. It's kind of like "let me get on with it"

Sharing important things for business purposes with permission is fine but there is a line of what you should post.

LynH

Visit site
I wouldn't share someone else's photos even if they have put them on FB and I wouldn't be happy with someone sharing photos I put on my FB page. I know they can legally but I would expect them to ask permission as a general courtesy. I would be nervous if they are sharing photos without the new owners permission as I wouldn't be happy if it happened to my photos.

stormox

Visit site
J

If i was buying a horse off someone i would not want them taking my pics all the time and posting on their timeline every single little thing i do as "look what the little horse i sold is doing"

:/
There is a very simple answer- DONT PUT PICTURES YOU DONT WANT SHARED ON YOUR TIMELINE- you are putting them in the public domain yourself. Send them to your friends in a private message or email.

greasedweasel

www.chamfronstud.com
I always post silly "OMG I hate my horse" posts or say they've half a leg missing cause they walked over a stone

I think this is interesting OP, how would you feel if this post had been turned round and it was the breeder posting "I've got someone interested in one of my youngsters, she seems lovely and her horses look well when she posts photos on FB but she is always posting negative comments about how she hates them or they are lame, should I sell her one of my horses?"

Surely no sane breeder would share a "I hate my horse" post no matter how tongue in cheek it was.