Would this annoy you if you were selling a horse?

Annagain

Visit site
I went through a search similar to this last year, wanted a cobx or ISH type: ended up with a bit TB. He's 16.3, big boned, wide, deep and is an absolute dope on a rope. People always ask what breed he is and are slightly surprised by TB because of the size of his joints and head, although bred for flat racing he reminds me of the old big national hunt types.

If you like him don't be put off by he fact he's a TB! Please please please don't. I know what you mean about the neck and shoulders but now my boy has muscled up with work he's a real chuck of a horse, although if the one you tried has been showing I would expect him to have good musculature. I also think they have a slightly natural lower head carriage than the cob types, just with the way the neck is set on the shoulder. Please let us know how it goes!

Will do. I'm not put off by TBs in terms of temperament at all and he really is a very laid back chap. I felt very safe on him in that sense. It's just this perched on top feeling I struggled with. Yes his neck does seem to be lower set than I'm used to - I think it is that as much as the size of it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
dont even think of what breed he is, look at the horse in front of you, he sounds like a good type....i have been helping a friends daughter with her ex racer, he is so laid back and such a nice chap you would never think he had raced.... while i have been looking at horses with you in mind i have come across lots of tbs and they are generally much cheaper than the heavier build horses so if you decide to have him keep that in mind. i would also get someone to take a pic of you on him so you can see if you look too big...

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’d also take a look at the saddle they’re using on him and whether it fits you too as that could make you feel perched especially if it’s too small.

Annagain

Visit site
I’d also take a look at the saddle they’re using on him and whether it fits you too as that could make you feel perched especially if it’s too small.
That's interesting I did feel it was a bit small - it was fine in walk and canter but I was landing on the back when I was rising to the trot.

Leandy

Visit site
It would put up a red flag as a possible difficult person to deal with yes, or possibly just an organised one! As a seller, I would be willing to chat through the questionaire with you but not if you just fired it at me cold and without making the effort to contact me properly for a chat. I'm as interested in talking to you to assess whether you may be a suitable and knowledgeable home for my horse as you are in finding out whether my horse is suitable for you.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yep, you'll get used to the slim up front thing. When I first backed my little mare after riding my big horse for so long it felt like I was riding a knife hanging off a cliff edge. Now she feels more normal and secure to ride than he does - it's so much easier to balance and manoeuvre a narrow fronted horse.

Go have another ride on him, see how you feel.

ihatework

Visit site
I know what you mean Annagain, about feeling perched, for me it’s not so much about narrowness or chunkiness of either the horse and/or it’s neck it’s about where you are sat in relation to its wither/neck and what is in front of you.

I know what I like and that is a neck up in front of me.

For sure try a different saddle and see if you get used to it, I’m sure you will. But if it were me, if I don’t feel right on the first sit, I don’t buy.

cundlegreen

Visit site
You measure the circumference of the foreleg, just below the knee. A big heavyweight horse will have around 10". Like my old boy - 17hh, 10" of bone, a real 'old fashioned' stamp of Irish Draught. (And no, he wasn't slightly sway backed - 20 years old when this was taken and the angle is slightly 'off'.) Obviously it isn'y JUST bone you look at - a good weight carrier must have depth, and a great backside as well. And not too long a back.

View attachment 34756
And short cannon bones...

Annagain

Visit site
I know what you mean Annagain, about feeling perched, for me it’s not so much about narrowness or chunkiness of either the horse and/or it’s neck it’s about where you are sat in relation to its wither/neck and what is in front of you.

I know what I like and that is a neck up in front of me.

For sure try a different saddle and see if you get used to it, I’m sure you will. But if it were me, if I don’t feel right on the first sit, I don’t buy.

Yes! You’ve just described it perfectly. This is exactly what I thought yesterday as I took Archie for a little trundle. I was trying to visualise what was different and it’s that the saddle is that much further back from the front of his body. I was trying to describe it to my non horsey OH tonight and I said it was the difference between sitting in an armchair or on a bar stool.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I used to help a friend with two hunter liveries. A 17hh cleveland x TB and a 16.3hh very rangy TB. The cleveland x was like sitting in an armchair. You sat right down in the middle of him and felt very secure. On the TB you were perched on top with a massive shoulder and very long neck in front of you. The cleveland was far closer to what I was used to (chunky Welsh section C) even though bigger but I preferred the TB for some strange reason even if I did feel a bit precarious at times and looked like the proverbial pea on an elephant at only 5' 2".

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I wouldn't mind if someone phoned me & used a crib sheet to remind them of questions to ask, in fact I've done that in the past when I've phoned about a horse. If however I had a number of people interested & they were coming to view I wouldn't bother with answering the list of questions. If however I'd had little interest then I may answer the questions but really it's like someone texting you for details of a horse? I would much prefer a call, texts I tend not to bother with if someone is genuinely interested they should phone.

Annagain

Visit site
I decided against him. I rode him another couple of times and I wasn't really any more comfortable on him. It's a shame as he's an absolute darling and perfect for me in every other way but I'm spending a lot of money so don't really want to compromise. I know the perferct horse doesn't exist but the perfect shaped one does! He also deserves to have someone who loves him for what he is rather than wisihing he was something else.

If anyone wants a nice TB though I can highly recommend him. I hacked him out and he didn't put a foot wrong. We saw cars anda tractor and he was great. We were with another horse and he was happy for the other horse to trot ahead of him without making a fuss, he went ahead of the other horse and although a tiny bit looky when he realised he was on his own, he behaved perfectly. We went into an open field - he cantered away from his friend, turned and cantered back without getting strong and stopped about 50m short of his friend and walked back with no jogging or bouncing. He then stood and watched his friend do the same and made no attempt to go with him. We also had a canter together and he was angel, no racing or getting strong. Getting up off his back and into a forward seat was horrible though, it felt like I was about to launch myself off him head first! I so wish he had that bit more of a neck!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thats a shame but there is no point having a horse that you are not in love with.....better start looking again :)found a couple horsequest 213842 6 yrs 16.2 cardiff could be the dealer you saw before perhaps ?
207278 8yrs 16.3 east midlands

Annagain

Visit site
thats a shame but there is no point having a horse that you are not in love with.....better start looking again :)found a couple horsequest 213842 6 yrs 16.2 cardiff could be the dealer you saw before perhaps ?
207278 8yrs 16.3 east midlands

213842 is the one I was originally supposed to be seeing when they brought the TB to me. He’s lovely but too green and too sharp for me. I can cope with one but not the two together. If you look at the other ad the same people have (same gates behind) that’s the TB I’ve been agonising about. His seller’s just told me she’s sold him to Scotland over the phone! I did wonder if someone on here put two and two together and realised he was the sweetheart I was talking about as he sold unseen within hours of going onto the website.
I phoned and left a message about 207278 earlier today!

ETA - he’s 213840

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just looked, he is nice and moves well, i can understand someone buying him ,they showed him off well in the video as well....at least you cant think what if?as he is now gone so he wasnt meant for you, the right one is out there,

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
He doesnt look like the same horse in those photos. I think it’s fair to say the advert is right and he needs to do some work! He does seem nice though and I’d love a bit of welshie.

I know bless him. He's, um, not a poor doer I don't think!

honetpot

Visit site
Think a photo either has to be set in context, like a standard gate or the buyer has to be good at working out types from photos.
My 16.2 ID x in winter with a fluffy coat looks like a 13.2 pony

spacefaer

Visit site
He doesnt look like the same horse in those photos. I think it’s fair to say the advert is right and he needs to do some work! He does seem nice though and I’d love a bit of welshie.

I know the horse. If you would like more information about him, please pm me.