Would this be possible?

Noodles_3

Visit site
I have recently stopped riding a young cob for a friend as I just didn't feel as though it was right for me. Just briefly, it was to do with the fact he was only a 5yo and me having confidence issues just didn't match. The pony was fab for his age, I can't knock him for that. He just had 'baby' moments and needed to be properly schooled and brought on! However he used to throw tantrums at any form of schooling as he hated it. This involved a few broncs around the school with me and then being completely dead to the leg, not willing to move. I used to come off sweating more than he was! Please don't worry re pain, had his back, teeth, everything possible there is to check whilst I was there and he was fine. His owner is very good with things like that, his care and health is her utmost concern.

So yes anyway, I admitted defeat that he was knocking my confidence slightly so when he was offered to me for share or loan I sadly said no. I think I would of said yes if I felt I had a bond with him but for some reason I just didn't feel any connection with him. It is a shame and I do wonder if I should of said yes sometimes. Then again, I am a big believer in listening to your gut feeling and my gut feeling said walk away.

The thing is, I still want to be involved with horses someway or another. I am not too concerned for riding as that's where my issues are. I could live without riding but then again I don't necessarily want to give it up forever either. It all stemmed from a hacking accident where I was bolted with flat out down a road and if there was a car coming, basically me and the horse wouldn't of been here to tell the tale. Fortunately we are! So yes I have issues with hacking and I NEED to feel in control. The baby cob I was riding was quite a good boy to be fair, not scared of anything but he would nap if I asked him to stand and it became a struggle so that's another thing that knocked my confidence. Other than that I did quite well for me on hacks!

I was thinking if I wanted anything I would love to look after an older horse that has been there, done that and has fab manners on the ground! (Baby cob was very bolshy). I just want to be able to go down to the yard, do the chores (which strangely enough I really enjoy doing) and look after a laid back chilled out older horse - Maybe even have the odd potter about if it's sensible enough. It would have to be alright to leave for a week or so and then be able to get back on again without any problems! Even if the riding bit wasn't involved I would still just love to care for a horse on the ground but don't know if anyone would want that? Or do you think it could be a possibility say with someone who has a younger horse they need to give more time too and they have an un ridden companion that needs a bit of fuss? Sorry, I feel as though I am really babbling on, I can't seem to word anything properly and make sense!

This post is longer than I intended it to be so I do apologise!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Hello, can I say I do know what you mean....I have a five year old cob and have ridden through a few of those baby moments. I must say I would have been inclined to say yes and then had some lessons, just as I am with my little cob. On a Saturday I go out on him with his professional rider, with me but up on my old boy. That way she can talk me through those baby moments. ( usually yells kick hit or hit him!!!) on. Sunday I have a lesson with my fab instructor and then have a wander about on my old lad. It's working, I am gaining confidence with this strange little horse. I do adore him and know he will be a great horse, but it has been hard downsizing, when the old boy went side wards at speed some bit of him would get in the way and you would go to! No danger of falling off! Unlike the little toad, off he goes and you are left in thin air!!! The schooling thing says baby baby baby to me. He finds it hard and therefore has a hissy fit, he is still growing. This is where the good instructor comes in, they set you up with a programme that gets you going and doesn't get to much for baby legs and minds.
To be honest if you don't want to ride, offer your services free and I am sure someone will take you up on it.......do you live in Kent???

WelshD

Visit site
yes I think if you don't expect riding you'd find something easily and if you did want some riding I still don't think you'd struggle

Shame you are so far away, I'm desperate for someone to have some fun with my ponies, give them a groom and a fuss and show them inhand!

Noodles_3

Visit site
Nope not in Kent I live in North East Lincs!! Yes it was definitely down to him not understanding - bless him. I just felt I was doing him a disservice really. I wasn't committed enough to school him on and ride through the tantrums. Committed is maybe the wrong word perhaps I should just say lack of confidence! If he was my own I would of got on with it! I didn't get to bond with him much on the ground as it really was just all riding. I'm glad to hear you are progressing with yours :)

WelshD - Ahh what a shame. That would be right up my street! I would love to help someone with their horse and duties and as much as I don't mind all the crappy jobs, I wouldn't like someone to take advantage and 'use' me! I may put the feelers out on facebook or preloved or something. I did say to the baby cobs owner if she struggles to find someone to share him I will go back and help her with him.