Would this bother you?

Loulou2002

Visit site
My old mare was PTS september and is buried in our top field. Anyway my dad owns our yard and has been approached by a land agent for development. We have 13 acres, so do next door and behind has about 25. They want to build a huge housing estate and buy all three pieces of land. Anyway i think its Taylor Wimpy have agreed with all three owners to pay some type of retention then they'll apply for planning etc. Once planning has been granted i think that when they go ahead with the purchase of the land. This could take at least ten years so we are here for a while. This is a seriously huge/ life changing amount of money we would be looking at and we are all in agreement that my dad should do it!

I can't help feeling a bit worried about my old horse buried up there and ending up dug up or with a 4 bed detached on top of her. My dad keeps saying "its years off yet don't worry it might come to nothing"

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Hum bit of a funny one. Since moving here we have discovered through neighbours that there is a horse and a dog buried somewhere in our garden. We are extending our stables and hopefully won't be digging up either as we have a rough idea of where they are but I must admit, even though they aren't mine the idea of disturbing them upsets me a little :(

As it's a long way off by the time the houses are built I wouldn't worry yet, but if it does go ahead maybe ask the developers if they disturb her can they give her back to you to re-bury or cremate?

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
All that's in the ground are bones. Your horses memories stay with you. Don't dwell on it just look to the future in the very fortunate position of being financially secure.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
All that's in the ground are bones. Your horses memories stay with you. Don't dwell on it just look to the future in the very fortunate position of being financially secure.

this is what my head says, but I can imagine something is pulling at you, as it would do to me. I think it's probably still feeling a bit raw to you as you only lost her fairly recently and now this development has come along. Hopefully with the passing of time you'll be able to see things differently :)

MrSpam

Visit site
It wouldn't bother me. We also farm on the edge of a town and I know our pet graveyard will eventually be built on. I have buried them with little metal name tags, so when the time comes, if I'm not around, at least someone might know their names. We have several dogs, a few cats, and a horse.

Janah

Visit site
We had stable and a yard built where our dogs had been buried. I told the guys doing the digging that if they came across any bones to put them to one side so we could rebury them elsewhere. They found nothing. I know a horse is rather larger so may be more remains.

I still think they come out at night and frolic about with the numuorous guinea pigs, hamsters and cats on the area and generally have a good time.

They are in your heart and will be remembered.

Loulou2002

Visit site
Hum bit of a funny one. Since moving here we have discovered through neighbours that there is a horse and a dog buried somewhere in our garden. We are extending our stables and hopefully won't be digging up either as we have a rough idea of where they are but I must admit, even though they aren't mine the idea of disturbing them upsets me a little :(

As it's a long way off by the time the houses are built I wouldn't worry yet, but if it does go ahead maybe ask the developers if they disturb her can they give her back to you to re-bury or cremate?

I did think about this........was worried they might think i was a mental horse lady though lol

Loulou2002

Visit site
It wouldn't bother me. We also farm on the edge of a town and I know our pet graveyard will eventually be built on. I have buried them with little metal name tags, so when the time comes, if I'm not around, at least someone might know their names. We have several dogs, a few cats, and a horse.

There is a proper name plaque and quite a big mound so they'll know she is there..........shes in the middle of 5 big oak trees so wondering if they might not disturb that area but too soon to think about that

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
See if you can get Tree Preservation Orders on the oaks. That will mean they have to be built round, not over.

LegOn

Visit site
See if you can get Tree Preservation Orders on the oaks. That will mean they have to be built round, not over.

Just be careful doing this - double check that it woulnt make the deal with the developers completely null and avoid. I know it could be a long way off but it might affect their plans & they might look elsewhere instead.

I understand how you feel though - I think I would feel the same, it would be hard but if its a long way off.. time might help get your head around it. My parents are thinking of selling our family home & there are several of our dogs buried in the garden aswell as a tree we planted for a friend who passed away & I know I would miss all of them if they do move :(

applecart14

Visit site
this is what my head says, but I can imagine something is pulling at you, as it would do to me. I think it's probably still feeling a bit raw to you as you only lost her fairly recently and now this development has come along. Hopefully with the passing of time you'll be able to see things differently :)

I agree with this sentiment.

My Dad dug up the cat by mistake when setting foundations for his garden shed. It was about 15 years after she was buried at the age of 19. Him and Mum weren't as upset as they would have been had it only been a few months or a couple of years after her death.

I was offered by a previous livery yard I was on at the time for them to bury my horse that had dropped down dead of a heart attack but I knew that I wanted to leave the yard and didn't want to leave him behind. Thinking about it now I think I was being a bit silly, but at the time these things are important to you and looking back it was incredibly kind of them to offer.