Would this help?

3OldPonies

Visit site
I have a problem with people feeding my two old boys. I understand that some people get pleasure from it, however it is not doing them any good, especially P who has to have a low sugar and starch diet. When I catch people I explain to them, but as the yard/field is not near my home I can't be there all the time. I already have do not feed signs up at each end of the footpath that crosses the field. I was thinking of adding another couple with this wording on:

'These elderly ponies receive a nutritionally balanced diet according to their individual requirements. They do not require additional treats so please do not feed them.'

I was also going to add some diagrams of a pony's head, with a carrot beneath it's nose, but with a red circle and cross over the carrot.

Do you think this might help?

I've put the bit in about them being elderly because they both have cushings and H (37 yrs old) is looking a little skinny and some people have said to me that he doesn't look very well compared to the others at the bottom of the lane so they want to give him goodies to fatten him up - the reason - they are barely half his age!

9tails

Visit site
How about "These ponies are very old and kept slim so that their joints don't suffer from extra weight, please help us to keep them slim by not feeding titbits". Non-horse people will be aware that joint issues can stem from excess weight and of course bodies age and degenerate.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would go further:
These elderly ponies are on a special diet, they are not allowed treats, fruit or veg of any sort as this can interfere with their medication and will make them very ill.
Please do not feed them. Thank you for reading.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would go further:
These elderly ponies are on a special diet, they are not allowed treats, fruit or veg of any sort as this can interfere with their medication and will make them very ill.
Please do not feed them. Thank you for reading.

this. We have several footpaths coming through our fields and in muzzle season the note reads 'please do not feed the horses, eating treats and extra food makes them ill' :p

touchstone

Visit site
I had the same issue and kept the wording simple and to the point - "Do not feed for health reasons" I didn't specify whose health, which seemed to help ;) I'd previously tried explanatory notes and please and thankyou which were ignored, this one has worked a treat (pardon the pun!)

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I will change to:

These elderly ponies receive a special nutritionally balanced diet to keep their weight under control and are not allowed treats of any sort (vegetables, fruits, sweets, etc.) as it will upset their health. Please do not feed them. Thank you.

I'll also stick with the diagrams, not all of their 'visitors' have very good English.