Would this put you off buying a horse?

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Not strictly CR, but some of the people in NL scare me a lot! :eek:

Basically, Wilby will be going up for sale soon as I'm off to uni. The advertising date has already been delayed due to his fall on the road, and it's not the end of the world if he is not sold in time - as a friend may have room for him at her yard and possibly do a few BEs with him at the end of the season - but it would be better if he is... Although I don't want him to go :eek:

However, would it put you off if you went to go and look at a horse and he was still scabby in places? The gravel burn on his back leg is going to take some time and is still quite sore if you touch it, but he is completely sound on it and back in full work. Basically, it just looks a bit of a mess up close but should heal up and not scar.

Just don't want to waste people's time if this would be a complete no-go sort of thing!

Lolo

Visit site
If you explained why, and I wasn't fussed by the cause of them then no- scars don't fuss me because they happen, and showing isn't my thing. I'd explain when people phone he had an accident out hacking, and is currently bearing the wounds but that they are fine and will heal well.

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, As long as you infrom the people about his fall and injuries but explain that you`ve had his back/pelvis checked (I`m presuming you have) and tell them he is back in full work etc and if he is a good buy, then it shoudn`t put people off. It wouldn`t put me off as long as he`d been checked and he was sound and fit. :)

Lolita

Visit site
I think as long as your upfront and tell people straight away and as long as your horse is open to vetting you should be okay. I'm sure it will put some people off but in general but I think most people will see past it ;)

Its Not Magic

Visit site
I think it would depend on 'why' he fell. But if you are honest when people enquire, then buyers have an informed choice to come and view or not, so not wasting anyones time.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
He fell because I'd come off, he panicked, legged it and hit the road in a flat out gallop, so just slipped straight over on his side.

He's had full x-rays, nothing broken, physio has been out to him and all is fine :)

Guess I now have no excuse to not advertise him when we move yards :(/:p

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Yes it probably would put me off to be honest! Would wonder if you were telling full story why he fell because sadly there are so many unscrupulous sellers out there :( There are so many horses for sale that unless I was desperate for one for a particular reason I would probably not come and view.

LouS

Visit site
Make sure you're clear about it on the phone before they come to view. I travelled 3 hours to see a pony, got there and it had a big wound on its face that they failed to mention on the phone then tried to shrug it off when I asked about it, very dodgy and a huge waste of my time.

To be honest it would put me off as I'd want to know why you fell off on the road etc more than veterinary issues.

Puppy

Visit site
Yes it probably would put me off to be honest! Would wonder if you were telling full story why he fell because sadly there are so many unscrupulous sellers out there :( There are so many horses for sale that unless I was desperate for one for a particular reason I would probably not come and view.

/\ /\ I'm a touch inclined to agree with this, I'm afraid. However, I do admit to being horrendously picky when horse shopping :eek:

What are you treating him with? Dermatix works very well in healing advanced wounds and reducing scarring (I've used it on myself and my horse!).

LBertie Wooster

Visit site
No, not at all! :) Unless it was going to cuase him problems in the future I wouldn't be bothered. These things happen. But you do gt some picky picky people unfortunatly :(
I would want telling over the phone though about what had happened etc but I would be happy to have and wouldn't put me off. :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think that it would put me off too a bit. More from the fact that you can't have a good feel of his legs as they're tender... It makes me wonder if you'd be better waiting a few weeks?

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I think that it would put me off too a bit. More from the fact that you can't have a good feel of his legs as they're tender... It makes me wonder if you'd be better waiting a few weeks?

The cuts are only on his stifle and elbow area, so can still feel all of the lower leg, tendons etc. Thankfully I bandaged him up that day instead of leaving his legs bare - not sure why, just did - as that saved his lower legs; ripped right through his bandages...

To those asking *why* I fell off, I didn't actually fall off on the road (he is positively saintly on the road and out hacking!) - I was flatworking him in a field a little way from the road when I came off :eek:

Thanks for the opinions though, I guess I will advertise him when we *fingers crossed* move yards, and will make everyone aware of it if they ring.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
/\ /\ I'm a touch inclined to agree with this, I'm afraid. However, I do admit to being horrendously picky when horse shopping :eek:

What are you treating him with? Dermatix works very well in healing advanced wounds and reducing scarring (I've used it on myself and my horse!).

He's been having dermisol on it (from the vets) but now that's run out we're onto flamazine cream (from the doctors :p) There's just the one that's red/sore, the rest are more just a case of growing fluff back on now, perhaps he needs some Regain or something!

ihatework

Visit site
In theory it wouldn't put me off, but bear in mind, if he is sore on it still then he is quite likely to fail flexion. So any snesible purchaser would want to wait until healed before putting through a vetting.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The gravel burn on his back leg is going to take some time and is still quite sore if you touch it

This may cause an in issue with any vetting that may be carried out in the near future - that would be the only thing I'd say....

Actually reading the post a bit more: I would wait until he's totally healed and scab free before advertising him.

Visit site
I agree with amymay, why rush, why not wait until his wounds have recovered? Uni wont be until Sept / March, the first impression of the horse will be much better if you wait a while longer. I wouldn't like to sell my own horse in that way, I would feel a bit embarassed. I would want peace of mind he went on to heal well etc. Good luck :) hard decision for you.

TheMule

Visit site
The appearance of the healing wounds wouldn't put me off but the fact he bronced you off would!

Cyclops

Visit site
I remember Mark telling me what had happened to your horse when I saw him at Shelford - Any of us can fall off when schooling and doing a bit or jumping as I understand you were down at the paddocks and I know that road at the top is lethally slippery as they turn down towards the yard. Delighted that your horse is sound again and healing well. Most horses tend to run for home when they have "dumped" the jockey - it's a real shame that there was a nasty turn on a slippery road on his way. If I was selling I would be tempted to wait until fully recovered as, seeing scars and scabs puts doubt in people's minds even though I know it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances, the potential buyers don't and might wonder and be put off.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
would be more interested in why you fell off him, esp doing flatwork?

Because I'm crap :eek::D

In all honesty, I'd been away grooming at Houghton for five days so he'd had five days off, was feeling a bit fresh, and in hindsight I should have done the sensible thing and just hacked him out or lunged him for a day before doing flatwork. Young, fresh TB + flatwork + field the size of a small country + ridiculously long (for me in a jumping saddle!) stirrups + asking a bit more from the canter when I didn't have him *there* in the first place = not my smartest idea. He only bronced once, and 99 times out of 100 I would probably have stayed on, but I just didn't.

IHW, I didn't think about the flexion tests actually... Will have to see how he is after flexing it... He was fine lifting it up for the farrier to do his back shoes (and we know he has good feet now, having had to go 9 weeks inbetween shoes :p) and sound to jump/gallop/flatwork on it, but will have to see what the prolonged bendy-ness does to it... Can't have him failing the vet!

Cyclops, I think that's the only time I've heard Mark tell someone to get the vet out for a wound :eek::p Generally it's a 'hose it down, stick some wound powder on and forget about it' diagnosis!

rubysmum

Visit site
I wouldn't be put off - but I would probably see it as a haggling point! Wait till he's fully healed and you'll might get a fairer price...

pretty much that - i have some inkling of the work you have put into him & it wouold be a shame if this temporary problem pushed his price down:)