Would this put you off completely...?

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Went to see a lovely little mare recently with a view to loaning her for my daughter. Very sweet, safe, ticked all the boxes really except for one thing - she had a bit of a strange movement behind, more than just stiffness but not lame as such? Clicking noise from the hind legs for the first 10 mins or so when warming up. She's only 11 so not old.

I haven't got back to the owner yet, had a nightmare few days with my own pony :( I wouldn't buy the pony but really unsure how to proceed when the she's ideal in every other aspect?

Wwyd?

paddi22

Visit site
if you like her enough get a good vetting done? I'd be wary of buying anything that was that had issues though

eggs

Visit site
Ditto getting her vetted. There is a very definite clicking noise from my mare's hind legs when she is in walk but not in any other pace. She's been seen by the vet who put it down to one of those things as she is completely sound and working at advanced medium dressage.

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Also, is it from a friend or a randomer? How much has it been doing this summer successfully? How far from home is it and would they take it back as soon as you were no longer happy with it or were they looking for long term.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
How old is your child and what are you doing with the pony. If it's a safe first ridden confidence giver already doing the job you're aiming it at, it wouldn't worry me. If you are looking for a more high powered animal then it would.

I just had a 15yr old Saint 5 stage vetted and she passed with flying colours despite funny little legs and action. She's always been like that and for what she is going to do its not going to be an issue. If she was an eventer yes you would think twice.

MrsNorris

Visit site
If she's close to home and working happily at the moment then I'd go for it.
Totally different story if I was looking to buy, but as a loan with a 4 week notice clause, I'd take a chance if she's perfect otherwise.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
We had a shetland like that. Turns out she had arthritic changes in both her hocks. Best thing was to keep her in work, but as we couldnt do enough with her sold her to somoene who would. She is still going strong and jsut gets injections if she gets too stiff. She was 11 when it developed.

PorkChop

Visit site
If the pony is currently working at the level you would be using her for then it wouldn't worry me.

Just make sure that the owner has insurance on her and that the owner could take her back if she detriorated.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I went to see a lovely little horse recently, loved it to bits, seemed ideal.

There was one immediate and very visible concern with it. It had a lumpy knee AND a splint, both on the same leg.

It wasn't going lame, it had done all sorts of stuff, jumped, hunted, pony club, all sound as a bell apparently.

I needed clarity, and to know what was what, so had it vetted. The vet spun it. That simple decision saved me £3000+ plus a lot of possible heartbreak in the future.

Whilst appreciating that OP isn't buying this horse only loaning it, there could well be something radically wrong that might need expensive vet treatment in the future, and personally I'd want to know what's what before taking on any horse with possible issues like this.

A very wise friend once said to me to treat any loan as though you were buying it: this being an obvious example.

The only way to sensibly proceed IMO is to have it vetted and see what that throws up, and make a decision based on the findings.

Last edited:

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Child is 4, pony is to be used for LR initially and then Fr...I'm wanting a pony long term. Might do the occasional show but mainly hacking out, 'schooling' aka teaching daughter to ride(!), beach rides etc. It's super safe, very local but I don't know the lady or have any mutual friends. They've had her for 2 years and little jockey now wants something speedier to do jumping with, somerford...

I think I need to find out more about the loan agreement before making a firm decision. If owner is prepared to take back with a four week notice period then I guess there isn't much risk at all?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Pony is no longer available. Things always happen for a reason!

Obviously not meant to be then.

Think you're well out of that one TBH: normally it is up to the loaner to pay for vets fees - and I had the horrid feeling this one would've cost you a mega-fortune.

Something else will be out there no worries.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site

Think you're well out of that one TBH: normally it is up to the loaner to pay for vets fees - and I had the horrid feeling this one would've cost you a mega-fortune.

I think you're spot on.

Found a Shetland which sounds fab on paper, for sale but it's 10.2 and would last us years considering 4yo is super tiny! Plenty more ponies in the sea ;)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
That wouldn't have worried me as a loan at all. Indeed I would have bought it if it ticked all the boxes. I insured our pony but she never had a vet bill in the time we had her and my daughter came off her ready to ride young and tricky ponies.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

However, if there is a 4 week notice period, surely the ppony can be returned to the owner before any expensive bills are incurred