Would u say anything?

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
My daughters are telling me about a 12yo girl they know who is posting on social media about her horses. She is a know all type but in truth an uneducated beginner who has a 12.2 she gallops about on. She has just been bought a 16hh 5yo gelding. She is tiny and the horse is expected to grow still. She has been posting videos of her with this horse having all sorts of bother, having to let it go, her sister falling off it etc. She sort of plays with her horses which is ok if you know what you are doing but she is doing things like galloping bareback and hatless up a field with the youngster loose and galloping alongside her. I don't think she has any idea of the danger she is putting herself in, and not sure if the parents have any input at all. My kids haven't commented on her posts but I think they feel someone ought to say something. Probably not our place-what do others think?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
If her parents know she is doing it, there really isn't anything you can do other than cross your fingers she comes to no harm :/

honetpot

Visit site
If she's only 12 her parents are responsible for her, and if she is injured or causes an accident they will be liable.
I had a stand up argument with a child mothers on a livery yard she was letting her young daughter hack out alone on the road. Not nice but she got the message.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I know her father went with her to see the new horse but I don't know if he is there when she handles it. It is quite a strapping chap. They tried to ride it in a public park in the snow and her sister fell of it. I take the point though that it is her parents' responsibility. Also I don't know her personally and my girls know her but are not friends and don't have any contact other than instagram etc. as at different schools now.

Firefly9410

Visit site
I would not say anything. With a lot of these things it is a matter of opinion as to right versus wrong. Unless your own children or your horses are in danger I would stay out of it, the chances are her parents know what happens and do not mind. All I would do is to offer the phone number of a good instructor or sales livery when the youngsters behaviour gets out of hand and they are looking for help.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I'd encourage your children to delete the girl off Facebook. It is very good that they have safety and the girls health in mind though.

Moomin1

Visit site
If she's only 12 her parents are responsible for her, and if she is injured or causes an accident they will be liable.
I had a stand up argument with a child mothers on a livery yard she was letting her young daughter hack out alone on the road. Not nice but she got the message.

Hell, I used to hack out alone daily from the age of 12 lol!

Firefly9410

Visit site
Me n you both :)

And me. I was trying to work out why that should be a problem! Unless the child in question is a very bad rider and a hazard to other road users? I used to go exploring and get lost and call into random yards to ask the way home because nobody had mobiles then and phone boxes were not found in the middle of fields and woods. As an adult I have fallen off out hacking and the horse has escaped, sometimes to eat the nearest patch of grass, sometimes running home or being caught by a member of the public. Accidents happen. I do not think we should all give up hacking alone because of it.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

Ha snap! Me too! In fact I even used to hack to pony club and back during the summer as had no other transport although Mum used to wait half way up the busier rode to make sure I was ok.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I think my kids feel she should at least wear a hat.....for the record when I was a kid I rode alone when I was ten or so. I admire the girls enthusiasm but feel she is now dangerously over-horsed. Given the feedback tonight though, we will stay out of it.

pennyturner

Visit site
I'd maybe pass on a quiet reminder to parents that the wearing of a hat is a legal requirement for children (they might not be aware of the law, or that she's not wearing it). The rest is their business.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
She is already a member but only joined late last year. As ex members of our local branch, they will take a dim view of a green horse. Our branch expect you to turn up on a schoolmaster. My concern is the fact that a small silly over confident girl is being left to manage a novice and opinionated 16hh horse. I have been riding all my life and he looks quite a challenge to me as an experienced adult never mind a 6 stone girl. my girls have been a bit alarmed by it all but agree keeping out of it is the only way.

orionstar

Visit site
Keep out of the way, the people you are talking about will have their own support network, however it differs from yours, and you dont agree with it, and no matter what you do, you wont be right, so keep out of it!

Marydoll

Visit site
If your kids are friends on fb get one of them to post up a pic on their timeline of what happens when a horse kicks you in the head, with an OMG thank god i wear a hat tag !!
I was another who used to hack out for hours on a shetland pony as a child, but to be fair the roads were less busy in the late 60's

honetpot

Visit site
I also used to walk 3 miles to ride and then walk home in the dusk, my mother never paid any mind. My parents also used to leave me the whole day on the beach on my own and I just turned up at mealtimes. I would never do this to my children.
I find it bizarre that people are so worried about children talking to strangers, school bullying etc and think that being on horseback gives you immunity from harm from either other people or accident. When you are young you think you will live for ever and as an adult its a calculated risk. If you left a 12 year old in a house on her own for any length of time to find for herself it would be classed as neglect and you would be referred to social services. Child are totally unaware of danger( and some adults are judging by the amount of buggies I see near horses) and any child that is supposedly in control of 500kg of horse with out a competent adult supervising needs protecting.
Just look at the pictures at the top of this FB page, that's the reality of coming worst off on a horsehttps://www.facebook.com/groups/susanbussey/

Moomin1

Visit site
I also used to walk 3 miles to ride and then walk home in the dusk, my mother never paid any mind. My parents also used to leave me the whole day on the beach on my own and I just turned up at mealtimes. I would never do this to my children.
I find it bizarre that people are so worried about children talking to strangers, school bullying etc and think that being on horseback gives you immunity from harm from either other people or accident. When you are young you think you will live for ever and as an adult its a calculated risk. If you left a 12 year old in a house on her own for any length of time to find for herself it would be classed as neglect and you would be referred to social services. Child are totally unaware of danger( and some adults are judging by the amount of buggies I see near horses) and any child that is supposedly in control of 500kg of horse with out a competent adult supervising needs protecting.
Just look at the pictures at the top of this FB page, that's the reality of coming worst off on a horsehttps://www.facebook.com/groups/susanbussey/

I'm fully aware of that, thank you.

Blimey, my parents would never have left me on a beach alone all day long. How neglectful and irresponsible.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I'm fully aware of that, thank you.

Blimey, my parents would never have left me on a beach alone all day long. How neglectful and irresponsible.

Tbh I can't see that leaving a child roaming the countryside without human company is any less neglectful or irresponsible. I think the OP will get no-where, if she does speak to the parents, but I also think that this situation is a disaster that will happen. :(

Moomin1

Visit site
Tbh I can't see that leaving a child roaming the countryside without human company is any less neglectful or irresponsible. I think the OP will get no-where, if she does speak to the parents, but I also think that this situation is a disaster that will happen. :(

It isn't. I didn't say it wasn't.

However leaving a child on a beach all day long is unthinkable. I used to hack out for about 45 mins. But I agree, I wouldn't let my daughter do that nowadays.