Would you be offended?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
If you we're selling a horse and prospective purchaser offered £1000 less than asking price due to fact the horse wind sucks and has to have the dentist more often.
Opinions please. This is subject to a vetting on Friday. Don't know if one should consider this offer, I know it's a buyers market.

skint1

Visit site
I think they're chancing their arm a little personally. Even if the horse had the dentist every 6 months instead of a year it's not exactly astronomical extra costs is it? I guess it depends how badly you want to sell the horse.

LollyDolly

Visit site
I personally wouldn't take the offer, but then again it all depends on how desperate you are to sell the horse. If the horse had been for sale for months then I would be tempted, however if it's still early days then I would reject and keep looking.
Also it depends on what the horse is like in other respects, however I still think that 1k off is more than a bit cheeky.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
That sounds like an awful lot to knock off for something so straight forward. What percentage of the asking price is it? I wouldn't try to knock that much off of something that was up for £2500 but if I were looking at a £6k+ competition horse it might bother me more.

I'd be looking at negotiating towards a discount somewhere in the middle unless the horse was already priced with the windsucking in mind.

siennamum

Visit site
I suppose it depends on how much the horse is costing. I would say though that I assume you had already reduced the price to account for cribbing, so I do think they are taking the pee.

Tash88

Visit site
I agree with the poster who asked what £1000 would be in relation to the asking price, as that would make a difference as to whether they are being reasonable or not. Still, I think £1000 is a lot of money whichever way you look at it and I think they are trying their luck a bit; I have to say this would make me worry about them as prospective owners of a horse I was selling. I would be concerned that they would try to do everything on the cheap: rubbish farrier, irregular dentist appointments when it's something that you have mentioned etc.

aran

community.webshots.com
My horses with perfectly fantastic teeth have the dentist every 6mths as I'd rather have them checked before any points developed therefore I think that's no reason to accept a lower offer (every 6 mths is very reasonable!).
I presume that the price reflects the wind-sucking already?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Price is £6k offer was 5k subject to vet, that is due to be arranged for fri, but my mate supposed to confirm she will accept her offer! Trouble is my mate has eye on another horse and needs to sell to secure it. I said get them to move up on the offer, she keeps texting me about what she should do but I am torn cos it's not my horse, and if she feels hard done by in a month or so, or new one fails vet, then I know I will feel bad if I've encouraged her. I accepter £6700 plus 1000 for tack on a horse I sold in feb that was priced at 10k! So she is going by my example but I needed to sell for financial reasons.

Countrychic

Visit site
Personally in this market I don't think it's rude. It might not be enough to secure the horse but certainly not a rude offer. I got a horse for 3.5 that was up for 6k. She needed to sell.

tinap

Visit site
Depends on the asking price. My boy was up for £5k, I offered £3500 as he was out of work & unfit at the time. I got him for £4k

abi31

Visit site
I'd say at that price the horse must be advertised as a competition horse and with this vice, it could impact on it's performance. I think it seems a fair compromise. £5000 in the present market is nothing to be sniffed at. xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
Personally as a buyer I am pretty disinterested in what seller ask for their horses I work out what the horse is worth to me and offer it explaining why they then take it or leave it.
Last one lovely horse a few issues well priced in the current market paid the asking price .
One before that had been with ownerthree months when I saw it advertised 4k under what she had ( over) paid for it I offered 3k under that and was accepted.
I decide what I pay for something it not rude it's the market

indie999

Visit site
It depends how desperate you are to sell. I know some excellent owners who keep their horses forever homes and on an ie a £2.5k horse knocked a 1k off. I thought it was cheeky but it is a buyers market and the price is a lot more with OP horse. As long as they collect etc and dont mess you around. Good luck I wouldnt want a crib/wind sucker etc either sorry so you are probably doing well.

Queenbee

Visit site
Thats a tricky one, Say I had a horse that 'vice free' would be worth 4k on the market, and it windsucked, I would factor that in to the selling price before I advertised and probably advertise for 3k anyway (I have always found this to be common practice). If the seller has not already done this then yes, offer less, but perhaps the advertised price already reflects this vice?