Would you be upset? Renting dilemma

huskydamage

Visit site
Im not sure if I have sny right to be upset about this but it's really thrown me and not sure what to do. I rent stables and grazing by myself from the owner and have been very happy there. I came up to find the owner and sone dude I do not know staking out across my field and the owner was like by the way this dude is having half the field now. I dont have a lot of grazing as it is am on heavy clay mud and was resting this for the spring. I also have my jumps in it and ride in there in the summer (i have no school). I dont know what is going in there, what kind of fencing they will do to keep my horses out out how I will access it. I also basically will not have enough grazing now. I feel a bit hurt that the owner never mentioned it to me as I am paying for all of it. I have asked to talk to find out more about it and I realise this is like it or lump it as it's his land but I'm worried I could come up snd find something else changed. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Flicker

Visit site
I don’t know the law about renting agricultural land, but if my mum’s landlord arrived at her house with a random dude and said, ‘oh btw this guy is now going to be living in the second bedroom’ I think she‘d be quite put out.

What did the landowner say about reducing your rent, since you will now presumably be renting a smaller property?

Goldenstar

Visit site
The problem is these are often add-hoc arrangements and complaint by OP will lead to her being shown the the door .
I can’t think what the owners thinking the thought of dealing with one person on My land is enough to bring me out in hives the thought dealing with two with the original renter feeling aggrieved is enough to send me for a lie down .

huskydamage

Visit site
Just to clarify I do not have a written agreement the owner is pretty old school but always seemed very fair and no issue until now. My first thought was I mustve upset them but I dont know what?! I realise there is nothing I can do but just wondered how to tactfully approach this with the YO so I dont get anymore nasty suprises. There doesnt seem to be an awful lot of small sole use yards around so I dont want to cut my nose off to spite my face it would take me ages to find somewhere probably. I am also trying to buy a house and was looking to stay close to this yard but will cast my net wider now. This does not help with budgeting for the mortgage either ?

Cowpony

Visit site
I'd start with the contract. If it says you have sole use the landlord can't do this. I've only seen one contract for a yard and that one reserved a right for the landlord effectively to do anything they wanted!

Ah, just seen your comment. Can you afford to pay more rent? If so, ask the landlord how much the other person will be paying and see if you can match it. The landlord may not understand grazing and believe that if you're not using some of the land for months at a time, you don't actually need it.

emilylou

Visit site
I'd have a chat about renegotiating rates as you now can only use half the space you originally agreed, I'd also express disappointment about not being informed or consulted before the decision was made and say that you are unsure that there will be enough grazing there for your horses now year round. I don't know if your landlord is horsey or not but it is very inconsiderate and you should be paying a reduced rate as a result and let them know how it is going to affect you as they may not have considered that - be polite of course.
And I'd start looking for other yards, even if you don't end up moving its good to know about other options.

w1bbler

Visit site
Definitely would be upset. You need to have a calm chat. Have they looked at your resting grazing & assumed you don't need it, rather than your looking after it for summer?
Have you paid the same rent for along time, maybe rather than put up your rent they are renting out your 'unused' bit.
Unfortunately its their place, so if it leaves you with too little land your only option is to leave (after trying to negotiate)

meleeka

Visit site
I’d be fuming! It may be that the owner just doesn’t realise how important it is for you to have all the land. Somebody has probably come along and persuaded them to let them rent half and paid them well. It’s their field of course, but to not have consulted you when you are already renting it is just rude.

I’d definitely speak to them and let them know it’s going to inconvenience you. I’d also expect the rent to be halved. Perhaps you can offer to match what the other person is paying in order to keep it?

vhf

Visit site
I'm so sorry - this must be terribly upsetting for you, quite apart from the practical considerations. Someone doing something to you/your environment over which you have no control is one of the most distressing things to cope with and you have the added insult of dealing with the impact. I think in your shoes I would take it as a sign that house-hunting should be extended and possibly yard-hunting could inform the search area? Gives you a sense of control back. Good luck.

stormox

Visit site
With covid, a lot of people are having a tough time. Maybe this chap lost his land, and your landlord is helping him out. Maybe your landlord has lost his job and needs more income....... I would have a chat with the landlord, we all have to be a bit flexible at the moment.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would be livid, tbh! You need to have a chat with the landlord asap, to ask how much he is reducing your rent by. As above you might need to offer to match the extra rent that he will be getting for the other half. I would also explain that his land will be overstocked and not fit to use very shortly. I would certainly be yard hunting and possibly extending the house hunting area

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would take a breath before doing anything as I wouldn't want my horses to be homeless through a misplaced word.

I think I would look at it that, if the new set up was offered, would I have taken it up? If I would, then I would stay, if I wouldn't then I would look for somewhere else as I feel that, now the man his been told he is coming, that will be irreversible.

If you would have taken it up under these circumstances, and so wish to stay, I think you do need to speak with the YO. I would use the thing about fencing as a nice way to start, as it is a genuine query that needs sorting and it shows that you are co-operating with the change. But, I would also get into the conversation that the land was being saved for summer and perhaps ask what the arrangements for summer grazing will be now? Perhaps mention that you used that (flat?) area for riding on, and ask if there is somewhere else suitable that you could move your jumps too?

Also, if you would have been prepared to pay more for true sole use, then I would mention that too.

Leandy

Visit site
I would be seeking to clarify the arrangement you have and exactly what you are paying for. Clearly you thought you were renting the whole yard for sole use. It seems the YO may have thought he was renting you space for x horses and use of facilities but not necessarily sole use. I would broach this clearly now, not least because if you will now have share with someone else, it needs to be clear exactly what you will each be paying for. You need to be clear though whether the arrangement is for rent of the land and buildings etc or for livery for x horses because those are different things and maybe what has led to the confusion?

Evie91

Visit site
I’d ring them for a chat and find out what’s going on.
Is your contract for sole use? Is it up for review? Are you a good tenant/keep things tidy/responsible for repair?Are you willing to pay more to secure sole use? No need to answer here just worth considering.
YO is trying to make a living too; if that type of yard is scare round you, perhaps they have realised they could make more income out of it. Perhaps the chap is a friend, lost grazing, offered to repair fencing, do jobs.
Yes maybe they could have spoken to you first but it is their land, so I’d go for a friendly conversation and see where that gets you - no point being ‘furious’ (as other posters have implied) won’t get you anywhere, keep calm, keep reasonable and be prepared to pay more to get what you want!

Backtoblack

Visit site
you are right to be upset. I think the best plan is to look for somewhere else to keep your horse and just move. personally i would move asap even if th new place wasn't ideal and look for better from there ,rather than stay put zand let the bas£$%d landlord have any more of my money.

stormox

Visit site
I would be seeking to clarify the arrangement you have and exactly what you are paying for. Clearly you thought you were renting the whole yard for sole use. It seems the YO may have thought he was renting you space for x horses and use of facilities but not necessarily sole use. I would broach this clearly now, not least because if you will now have share with someone else, it needs to be clear exactly what you will each be paying for. You need to be clear though whether the arrangement is for rent of the land and buildings etc or for livery for x horses because those are different things and maybe what has led to the confusion?

I think this is a good point. I used to rent a 10 acre field from a local farmer for my 2 horses. I was charged a certain amount which I thought was for the field, there was no one else there. I was there a couple of years and then one day arrived to find a lady sectioning off a corner ..... I politely asked her what she was doing and she said the farmer had said she could keep her ponies there, same money per week as my 2 were.
When I asked the farmer he just said that he had been renting to me at a certain amount per horse... I was a bit put out but she turned out to be a lovely lady with a couple of innoffensive rescue ponies.

Tarragon

Visit site
This is a tricky one. I am like Stormox. I pay per pony and not the field. When I first moved there I knew that the same field was also rented by a sheep farmer, but that was ok, sheep and ponies make good grazing partners. Then, by mutual agreement another person joins me with her two horses, so there are now three of us renting the same field. It does work most of the time as she and I both benefit from each other and the sheep help to keep it down as it is 10 acres... the only gripe I have is that she and I cannot plan because we think that we will have enough grass and then the sheep farmer puts in 500 sheep and all the grass disappears! Frustrating, but the benefits outweigh the cons so we grumble between us and keep on going.
The land owner should have at least given you some notice of his plans with you first. It will affect you! I am very annoyed on your behalf :)
Is the new person hoping to graze horses? Perhaps you can get together and just make it work for both of you? With our big field we sometimes have them turned out together and sometimes agree to split it, or even mix and match the ponies as it suits us.

huskydamage

Visit site
Thanks for the replies all. Ive spoken to them now and clarified this is being sold to be built on not rented and is part of a deal the YO has done for some other bit he wanted so I 100% get it now I just wish they'd told me beforehand. They are happy with me there as a tenant and no plans to change anything else. I feel a lot better now I've discussed it with them, although long term I will have to see how/if I can manage the grazing situation which will factor into my house move I imagine.

Annagain

Visit site
It's good you've had a proper chat about it and that you're happier but I'd still expect a reduction in the rent to cover the lost grazing. How much will you lose and how much does that leave you with? When you say the YO has done a deal to get another bit, will that be available to you and is it as convenient?

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Been there and got the tshirt on this so feel your hurt and upset. In my scenario it made me more determined to buy my own land so I would never have to put up with this ever again (I looked in my village for years for the right field to come up). You sound a lovely level head person, who just wants her own little set up for her horses and don't want to rattle any cages. Good luck and I hope you can work something out x

Winters100

Visit site
You need to look at your lease contract and see exactly what you are renting. If you want me to take a look at it you can inbox a scan. I am not a lawyer but have been 30 years in the real estate business in various countries.