Would you buy a 6yrs old working at PSG level ?

BBH

Visit site
Thats reminds me of a pro I saw chase a lovely five yr old around a course for 12 faults. Whats the point, babies should be taken on a confidence giving round. It wasn't even his horse.
frown.gif

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thats reminds me of a pro I saw chase a lovely five yr old around a course for 12 faults. Whats the point, babies should be taken on a confidence giving round. It wasn't even his horse.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree.

When my girl was a five year old, we took her soooo slowly - everyone we knew thought we were bonkers for not rushing to get our double clears. But we stuck to our guns and it paid off - she never, ever went stale, always loved the job, which is more than I can say for many horses I know who have been hugely overjumped!

People wonder why their horses throw the towel in when they get to their prime...I suspect in many cases, the answer lies in that four-five-six year old period
frown.gif

BBH

Visit site
When my girl was a five year old, we took her soooo slowly - everyone we knew thought we were bonkers for not rushing to get our double clears. But we stuck to our guns and it paid off - she never, ever went stale, always loved the job, [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and thats exactly the sort of horse everyone wants, it definitely pays off in the end to take your time and I bet she's a far happier horse for it.

mik

Visit site
I so agree take your time and give them a proper athletic training as well as schooling and you end up with a much better result. ( but then I am an old event rider and think 10 yrs olds are just about getting there.

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Yes and thats exactly the sort of horse everyone wants, it definitely pays off in the end to take your time and I bet she's a far happier horse for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to think so!
smile.gif
We dont showjump anymore (because of me, not her
wink.gif
) but you only have to look at her face - or tbh feel what it's like to be on her back - when we get the chance to pop the odd fence now - she loves it! She's 14 years old now but still gets so excited by her jumping. Yet I know people with horses the same age who just switch off now - they've done too much, been pushed too hard and they just dont enjoy it any more. I once had a pony like that, and it was quite sad really - you could tell that at one time she'd have been a fab jumper, but years of intense overwork had just taken the spark away from her.

You really have set me off today!
blush.gif
Rushing babies is a pet hate of mine, but I dont get to vocalise it very often
grin.gif

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I so agree take your time and give them a proper athletic training as well as schooling and you end up with a much better result. ( but then I am an old event rider and think 10 yrs olds are just about getting there.

[/ QUOTE ]

A ten year old is still a baby! At 12 - 16, they're in their prime
grin.gif

I remember being shocked when Give Me Remus was entered for the Hickstead Derby when he was just 7....yes he did very well, but still.....
crazy.gif

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
and now he isnt jumping at that level at all when at 16 with the correct management he could have a few seasons left

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I love that horse - I think he has such a presence, but he did too much, too soon. And he's just one of many
frown.gif

mickey

Visit site
I definitely wouldn't buy the horse in question. I agree with OPsters about a young horse possibly breaking down mentally and physically. And I would like to train the horse (at least in part) anyway.

Halfstep

Visit site
Huge difference between working PSG and actually being able to DO a PSG test. I have no problem with a 6 yr old doing flying changes, half pass and starting pirouette work. Technically that is working PSG. It'll be another year or so before the horse is strong enough to put it together in a test.

I like this horse. He's by the same stallion as mine, and they look rather alike (other than colour). Will be mega bucks though.

Booboos

Visit site
I think it is pretty normal for young horses to play around with a few steps of piaffe and flying changes, but fundamentally they should be working on strengthening their backs properly by working on a much longer frame than the horse in the advert. To me this young horse looks held together, tight in his neck and not using his back, all of which I think he would have to un-learn and start over again.

Halfstep

Visit site
I agree that it isn't the best picture, but I don't think he's "not using his back at all" by any means. He could be freer in the back for sure, but I don't think you can make such a sweeping judgment from one sales photo. I bet this is a rolls royce ride.

Booboos

Visit site
I meant 'in that photo' which is all I have to go with as I don't know the horse! I think that taking this kind of photo is OK for a 4 year old, especially when you know that it is just a matter of producing them to go in a straight line for the sales and they will know nothing when you get them home, but I don't understand what it is supposed to show in a 6 year old.