Would you buy a horse that has had Kissing spines surgery?

LJF0664

Visit site
Saw a bay horse advertised, had op in 2018. Seems to be going well, lovely to watch on the video. Vet report was Available. Must admit if I was looking I would have definitely considered him.

I’m pretty sure this is the same horse - in West Yorkshire? He looked lovely, and the KS meant he fell in budget. Unfortunately he sold on the earlier viewing :(

chocolategirl

Visit site
Price would have to reflect the possibility of problems recurring for me. We have one who had all his ligaments cut, so no bone shaving etc. tbf he wasn’t showing any bad behaviour at all, just a drop in performance which was enough for me to get investigations done. Vet also ‘cleaned up’ his suspensories at the same time. We’ve had him nearly 9 years, this was done nearly 5 years ago, he had his best season ever last year, so ?‍♀️ All those who are instantly dismissing the purchase, I understand, but sadly, you’re writing off an enormous number of horses without even entertaining the possibility that they may give you years of good service? after all, a horse can pass a 5 stage vetting with X-rays, you can pay 10k plus, then it can ‘break’ within 12 months? seen it so many times ? there are no guarantees with any of them are there?

Last edited:

rara007

Visit site
I wouldn’t buy into such a significant known problem, no. Very slightly potential if it was a older schoolmaster working well for peanuts, but in general no.

Reactions: Kat

windand rain

Visit site
I wouldn't but that is because it is not within my realms of expertise. My instant thought would be no but thinking on it perhaps it is better to know the surgery has been done and the rehab successful than to buy a horse it develop the same problem and then need the surgery and rehab. Especially if said horse was considerably cheaper than the possible candidate for surgery. It does seem to be there are a lot of horses needing surgery now so who know. In principle you wouldn't buy a horse with a known problem in practice we do every time we buy a horse buy one with the potential to develop it

Ceifer

Visit site
I know it’s a bit pointless saying this as the horse had now sold but, I have a friend who purchased an Eventer who had the operation. She paid over £40k for him as he had evented to 3*. If he hadn’t had the operation he would have been significantly more.
Personally I think it’s a ludicrous amount of money but they took a gamble and are happy to write it off if he breaks. She’s had him 4 years now and he’s been fine.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
there are no guarantees with any of them are there?

No, there are no guarantees, but everyone needs to try to stack the cards with which risks they are willing to take and without the risks they are unwilling to take to try to up the odds of things working out.

I've had a serious riding accident and I don't want a competition horse, so buying a horse with a known physical issue to get a more talented horse in budget would not be a 'good' risk for me to take. For someone else... maybe they'll play those odds. It is wrong however to say that I would be missing out by being more wary.

chocolategirl

Visit site
No, there are no guarantees, but everyone needs to try to stack the cards with which risks they are willing to take and without the risks they are unwilling to take to try to up the odds of things working out.

I've had a serious riding accident and I don't want a competition horse, so buying a horse with a known physical issue to get a more talented horse in budget would not be a 'good' risk for me to take. For someone else... maybe they'll play those odds. It is wrong however to say that I would be missing out by being more wary.
I don’t think that’s what I said? I said the possibility that they may? I also said I understand why people don’t want to take the chance ?

Regandal

Visit site
Price would have to reflect the possibility of problems recurring for me. We have one who had all his ligaments cut, so no bone shaving etc. tbf he wasn’t showing any bad behaviour at all, just a drop in performance which was enough for me to get investigations done. Vet also ‘cleaned up’ his suspensories at the same time. We’ve had him nearly 9 years, this was done nearly 5 years ago, he had his best season ever last year, so ?‍♀️ All those who are instantly dismissing the purchase, I understand, but sadly, you’re writing off an enormous number of horses without even entertaining the possibility that they may give you years of good service? after all, a horse can pass a 5 stage vetting with X-rays, you can pay 10k plus, then it can ‘break’ within 12 months? seen it so many times ? there are no guarantees with any of them are there?
I’m intrigued. How do you ‘clean up’ a horses suspensories?

millitiger

Visit site
I would consider it.

for a horse doing the job I want to do and proven to have come back to do that job successfully for a few seasons after the OP.
obviously price would need to reflect the history.

However, I maybe an a bit of a risk taker for the right horse- my last purchase was lame on every leg, 11yrs old and with a number of ridden quirks when I bought him and I paid £2500... most people on here would have said I was mad but I had a gut feeling about him.

The back story is he has jumped clear at numerous BE Intermediates and is the best jumper I have ever sat on... sound and without the quirks he would have been £25,000+
The gamble paid off and we’ve had a brilliant 2 years together of him being a wonderful schoolmaster and I hope many more, however he owes me nothing at this point if the worst was to happen.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I can't answer the question and would never want to advise someone else on it, but personally I'd probably consider a horse that had mild KS and been taken on and rehabbed with correct work, and was still in that physical condition. What I've seen of the KS spine procedures doesn't fill me with glee, especially the one I keep hearing about who tours several counties doing standing KS snips in the stable.

AandK

Visit site
I would consider it, if the horse had been back in full work doing the job I wanted it for, for several years. And as long as the price reflected the history.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’m intrigued. How do you ‘clean up’ a horses suspensories?
As far as I’m aware, they were thickened, related to the kissing spine I think? Something was done to them as he had staples in them when he came home. Maybe it was shock therapy he had, not sure. I was more focused on the KS surgery and didn’t see the SL as the primary isssue ?

Last edited: