Would you buy a horse that plaited

shellibob

Visit site
As above- said horse is rising 8 this year and done no work up until now, been lightly backed and seems to be plaiting on the front in walk, nice elevated and no issues in trot, also needs to see the farrier as lived out in a field up until now, could this be a weakness that just needs the right work?

Charlie007

Visit site
I wouldn't buy one that plaited as I compete in dressage but years ago a friend had the most fabulous pony that plaited. He jumped, xc, everything and was totally sound for many years.

be positive

Visit site
I might buy one that didn't move correctly but I would be very cautious about buying an 8 year old that has not been broken and ridden away unless it was extremely cheap, it was still with it's breeder and there was a genuinely good reason that it was not in some work by now, it is a common way of selling a difficult or lame horse with no comeback.

marotelle

Visit site
I used to ride one that did this,he used to go drag hunting;I saw a head on photo of him jumping,his legs were crossed over the jump.Two years later he whent A over tip over a wooden log, breaking both of his rider's legs.....
Not for me thank you.

MrsNorris

Visit site
I might buy one that didn't move correctly but I would be very cautious about buying an 8 year old that has not been broken and ridden away unless it was extremely cheap, it was still with it's breeder and there was a genuinely good reason that it was not in some work by now, it is a common way of selling a difficult or lame horse with no comeback.

This, I'd be vary wary without a totally convincing back story..

southerncomfort

Visit site
We bought one that plaits behind. She was cheap so worth a punt and she has turned out to be an excellent PC pony and jumps anything put in front of her. Of my three she is only one that's never caused me a vets bill (other than teeth/vacs)!

shellibob

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, he is with the breeder and they are all backed late so hes not the only one, however think I'm giving it a miss, already have one problem pony and looking for a number 2 as a breath of fresh air not more rehab and stress!! getting fed up of looking though as all seem to have problems or issues

Melody Grey

Visit site
I think it depends how severe the plaiting is- my welshie sounds just like what you're considering- not done much and generally under-muscled. His is more of a 'brushing with a hint of diagonal movement' if that makes sense? I've had him a month and it's already diminishing with work....whether it will totally go is another question! If the action was one of totally crossing over I think I'd be more worried, especially on the fronts.